Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm not sure if this is something I'll have to ask the dealer I bought my truck from, but I have my eyes on the Rough Country 2.5 inch leveling kit for my 2013 Silverado 2WD extended cab. Will me installing this myself void any warranty I have? I bought the truck used last week and it still has the factory warranty on the truck. Also, is there a major difference or benefit/disadvantage between the Rough Country 2 inch and 2.5 inch leveling kits other than tire size? Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was at the dealership last night buying my wife a new car after buying myself a new silverado a few weeks ago and asking the salesperson about voiding my warranty by installing a level kit. You will be happy to hear that installing a level kit will not void a warranty. From what I have read there isnt much difference between 2 and 2.5 other than you definitely dont want to go higher than 2.5 in the front.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
There are dozens of threads on here where people with lift kits have gone in for warranty work and had the dealer blame the lift kit and refuse warranty service. Technically, the dealer/GM is suppose to be required to prove that it was the lift kit that caused the problem but that is not the way it works quite often. Then, it becomes you against the dealer and GM.

That being said, my dealer has a big ReadyLift display right in the service center. I asked the service tech about it and the truck warranty and they said it would not affect it. I pushed a little further and asked what would happen if GM denied the warranty claim blaming it on the lift kit. He said then Readylift would honor the repair. I asked him what would happen if Readylift then denied the claim and he said that one way or the other, it would get covered. If not by GM or Ready Lift, then the dealer would honor it. The kicker however was that it had to be installed by them.

Just my opinion, but you are risking your warranty if you install a lift. Either that, or be prepared to go the distance if you have a problem down the road. You will be going up against GM and all their lawyers though. I suppose you could talk to the dealer and ask ahead of time, but unless you get it in writing from him, which is highly unlikely, it is worthless if he tells you it wouldn't affect the warranty.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
When I purchased mine I inquired about this and got similar but mixed responses. The dealer sells/installs many lift and leveling kits and I asked how it affects the warranty the offer.

First they said it wouldn't, then changed it to they have to install it in order for the warranty to be valid.
Then a different person at the dealer said even if they installed it, the warranty would be void at that point.
Then the manager said any modification to the driveline would void the warranty.

In my experience, be very diligent in asking this question and ask multiple sources and get it in writing since they have varying opinions. Either that or be prepared that it will void your warranty and if they still honor repairs figure it as a bonus. The thing that throws me off is they sell vehicles with these installed and offer full warranties..

·
Registered
585 Posts
A level kit can cause increased/faster wear on a variety of suspension parts. The same can be said for big/heavy oversized wheels and tires. Warranties aren't designed to cover failures from something not in the factory state.

I see a high percentage of trucks on the road and on here with level kits (myself included). I accepted the risk that my balljoints, tie rod ends, CVs, ect could wear out a little faster than normal. They might not. The risk is worth it to me.

Don't expect your dealer to want to help with suspension noises, vibrations, alignment, or front suspension competent wear if you put a level on. They might, but they might not. You will have little power with them unless you have a good lawyer on retainer.

A lot of people are comfortable with the risks of a level kit. It's up to you to figure out if you are.

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
That is why I said, ask before you do it and if the dealer says it won't void your warranty, ask to have it put in writing. At that point, the answer may change. Otherwise, I agree, you put your warranty at risk.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
The OP has a 2wd truck which sheds half the worry with front end parts. No CV or drive line angles to worry about. It will put some extra stress on your tie rods, ball joints ect...I wouldn't hesitate to lift a 2WD.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.