Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 1500 HD has a leak in the cooling system. I took it to a shop and had a pressure test done which determined that the leak was coming from the weep hole. The mechanic recommended replacing multiple things as expected.
Replace:
  • Water Pump
    Thermostat
    Upper Radiator Hose
    Lower Radiator Hose
    Serpentine Belt
    Coolant
He had suggested originally that I replace the ac belt too until I told him that it was replaced around a year ago when I put in a new ac compressor. He said we just looked at the serpentine belt and assumed that they were both original (the serpentine belt does need to be replaced) so I'm guessing they looked at the serpentine belt because its easier to get too.

I have a few questions about what are the right parts to get for my truck.

I was looking at the thermostats and noticed three different degree levels 160,185, and 187 which one would be the right fit?
There are a few different brands for water pumps any good recommendations?
How many hoses are used in the cooling system and what are they? (I replaced the heater hose where I thought the leak was coming from at first)

· Registered
885 Posts
I like to buy murray pumps. Nothing reconditioned always new.

probably 185 degree thermostat is the right one. i wouldnt use anything cooler.

Its to bad shops just replace parts because they assume they are bad. takes an extra 5 seconds to take the ac belt off and check it out. Now those new stretch to fit belts are another story.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill look into that brand I didn't recognize any names but ac delco and gates so far. Yeah it's not that hard to check and I already have the serpentine belt I just didn't get a chance to put it on so I guess I have it now lol.

· Registered
885 Posts
Probably long as its new then it should be ok. You can buy reconditioned stuff but the cooling system is way to important to save a few bucks on. The way i see it anything that can cause you to replace the whole engine is worth spending extra on.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.