Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a little late this morning for school, and I get into my truck and start backing up, forgetting my dads truck was parked in a different part of our driveway right behind me. I hear a loud bang and knew immediately what had happened. He came running out shouting obscenities and told me to gtf to school. Dreading my return home the whole day, I tried thinking of how I was gonna come up with the money to fix it and kicking myself for my stupidity and carelessness. I get home, get one of the worst ass-chewings I've had in quite a while (rightfully so, I'd be just as mad if not worse). So since we are renovating our house, I'll be working every weekend till I pay off what it costs, which will probably take 3 months (which is pretty fair).
Feeling like a massive idiot and a screw-up, I bring his only 3 month old 2013 Sierra to one of the local body shop who quotes me $2285 after parts and labor. The area I hit him is just behind the cab and forward of the right rear wheel and it looks like the entire right side of the bed will need to be replaced. Gonna go get a few more estimates at other places around town this week and luckily, somehow my truck didnt get any damage except a scratch on my taillight lense. I feel like I'm getting off pretty easily, and of course Im gonna man up and take full responsibility for my actions. I'm glad my dad was reasonable about it as he was after he chewed me out, and I could be in a lot more sh*t than I am now. Well, just figured I'd share this experience and the fact that i learned the hard way. I guess you just live and learn.

Here's a pic I took. Btw, do y'all think $2285 (parts labor, and im pretty sure, paint) is a fair price? Besides the whole right rear quarter panel and the clear plastic rock-protection things, I forget what he said needed to be replaced as I left the est receipt at his house. Like I said, I'm gonna shop around a bit tomorrow and later this week and see if I can get a better deal and ask around about who does the best quality work.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
I wish you and your Pops the best, Brother! They're called accidents for a reason...they're ACCIDENTS.

As a Silverado lover, I literally cringe when I see a truck with body damage on the road. I'm certain we've all had our share of similar experiences. Again, I wish you and your Pops come out of this ordeal stronger than ever!

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
I haven't dabbled in body work much lately but I would guess you won't get a whole lot better estimate elsewhere without having to worry about the quality of work. Just be real glad you didn't catch the cab/door also or you would be looking at more like 4-5 g's. Good luck with getting everything back in order and glad to see you are manning up to the whole thing.

·
Registered
533 Posts
If they are replacing the side of the bed( which they should ) then that sounds reasonable.
Don't feel to bad, most of us have done this bad or worse.
I was backing into my garage recently and pinned my garbage can between the back of my truck and my garage wall.
By some miracle only the tail light of my truck was damaged, and the garage wall of course.
This is to say nothing of the truck I wrecked about 13 years ago :roll:
By the way your dad has impeccable taste in tool boxes.

joe

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ouch! Sorry man I know what it's like to wreck your dad's vehicle. I did the same thing when I was 19, I totaled his 96 blazer. But in the end he got his insurance check and bought a new trailblazer. To this day he says I did him a favor by crashing his poor blazer. Luckily for you Dads are always forgiving. Anyways I currently work at a body shop and we do those bed sides all the time. $2285 is a great price. Those bed sides are close to $1000. Plus the paint work is where it gets pricey as well because they most likely will have to color match the side that there replacing with the rest of the truck and that can be tricky. All in all it's really not that bad those bed sides are a breeze to do. Any good reputable shop should have it done within a couple of weeks. Good luck my friend!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I hit my own dad and my insurance is almost impossible for me to afford after my last wreck, were not doing it through the insurance company. The LAST thing I need is for my rates to go up...

·
Registered
413 Posts
That's too bad man! Live and learn right?

·
Registered
533 Posts
ARoadRaginCajun said:
Since I hit my own dad and my insurance is almost impossible for me to afford after my last wreck, were not doing it through the insurance company. The LAST thing I need is for my rates to go up...
Yeah, if you are fairly young, and or ,have had a fender bender already,
you are probably better off not using the insurance for a couple grand.
when I was in my late teens/ early twenties my insurance was insane despite having no tickets and no wrecks(that the insurance company ever knew about anyway).
Today, at 29, I pay less than half for my new truck than I did for a ten year old truck when I was 20,
and I got a fast driving award last year two!

Joe

·
Registered
751 Posts
Is it just me or is it worse when you know your dad is pusses but he doesn't yell at you? I would rather my dad chew my ass but instead he always gets all passive aggressive!

But anyway man I hope everything works out for you! And it's cool he's letting you work it off instead of making you come up with cash. Good luck :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It's the worst thing I've done that affects him directly I guess lol. He was just pissed because it was an easily avoided problem and it was all down to stupidity and carelessness. The wreck I had in my camry was far worse. That's why my insurance is nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
ARoadRaginCajun said:
So I'm a little late this morning for school, and I get into my truck and start backing up, forgetting my dads truck was parked in a different part of our driveway right behind me. I hear a loud bang and knew immediately what had happened. He came running out shouting obscenities and told me to gtf to school. Dreading my return home the whole day, I tried thinking of how I was gonna come up with the money to fix it and kicking myself for my stupidity and carelessness. I get home, get one of the worst ass-chewings I've had in quite a while (rightfully so, I'd be just as mad if not worse). So since we are renovating our house, I'll be working every weekend till I pay off what it costs, which will probably take 3 months (which is pretty fair).
Feeling like a massive idiot and a screw-up, I bring his only 3 month old 2013 Sierra to one of the local body shop who quotes me $2285 after parts and labor. The area I hit him is just behind the cab and forward of the right rear wheel and it looks like the entire right side of the bed will need to be replaced. Gonna go get a few more estimates at other places around town this week and luckily, somehow my truck didnt get any damage except a scratch on my taillight lense. I feel like I'm getting off pretty easily, and of course Im gonna man up and take full responsibility for my actions. I'm glad my dad was reasonable about it as he was after he chewed me out, and I could be in a lot more sh*t than I am now. Well, just figured I'd share this experience and the fact that i learned the hard way. I guess you just live and learn.

Here's a pic I took. Btw, do y'all think $2285 (parts labor, and im pretty sure, paint) is a fair price? Besides the whole right rear quarter panel and the clear plastic rock-protection things, I forget what he said needed to be replaced as I left the est receipt at his house. Like I said, I'm gonna shop around a bit tomorrow and later this week and see if I can get a better deal and ask around about who does the best quality work.
Wow what a breath of fresh air, a fine young man who owns up to his mistake without whining. So seldom seen these days on forums, all I can say is I am impressed beyond words. After the truck is fixed tell dad you love him.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I think most of us have done something similar, so just chaulk it up as a lesson learned. When I was 17 I was sitting at a gas station that was full service and got pissed at the driver in front of me because he was on his 3rd credit card trying to pay for the gas he just got. Not thinking, I put my S-10 in reverse and backed up aggressively and hit a car behind me. Needless to say, the bumper of my truck was sitting up on the hood of the car. Worst thing, it ended up being my Aunt!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.