Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes are a making a squealing noise when the car is rolling, but not when the brakes are applied. I'm assuming the brake pads need replacing. I've got 105,000 miles on the truck so it's probably time.

What brand and type is best?

I'm thinking AC Delco. Thoughts?

I don't do any high-performance driving, towing or off-roading. Just the normal driving in LA traffic.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
I like Wagner Thermoquiet brakes myself.

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,445 Posts
I've gone to the car quest premium ceramic pads an I'm happy with them.

Wagner thermo quiet pads are also good.

I'd go ceramic with whatever you end up with though. The dust is less and wipes off so much easier.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just found the Hawk ones after reading a bit more from the related topics below my post (my search for brake pads turned up over 100 topics, so I figured I'd post a new one; didn't know about the related topics that turn up!).

Seems the ones in the green box will work. My concern with aftermarket ones is if they will ruin the rotors. Are they engineered to work together?

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would these be the ones you are referring to:

Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional Ceramic Brake Pads - Front (4-Pad Set)
Carquest Wearever Gold Ceramic Brake Pads - Front (4-Pad Set)

Prices are all over the place! What am I looking for, other than ceramic? The Hawks are about $70, the Carquests are about $55. AC Delco are about $100 for OEM, but the ceramic AC Delco ones are about $60. Is there really any difference?

BTW, for the AC Delco OEM ones, there are choices for J92, JF3 and active break control. How do I tell what my truck has?

· Supr Moderator AutoTech SS-Guru Mbr Extraordinaire
2015 High Country Duramax
19,445 Posts
Yes I the car quest platinum.

For your brake code just look at the rpo code list in your glove box and see which you have.

· Registered
1,007 Posts
I got some organic pads for my car, not my truck, and they suck...they'll be getting replaced.

They were only thing O'Reilly's had in stock for my lil car the day I bought them. I questioned the organic written on the box and counter guy just shrugged. It was a new one for me, so thought why not, let's see how they do...bad purchase.

Just don't buy anything that says organic, unless you like squealing brakes...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
16,428 Posts
ORGANIC??? Do they expect you to eat them?
This green stuff has gotten out of hand when they want to start making brakes out of celery. Sheeeesh. If I see the word on a package of food, I skip over it. It is either way over priced or it tastes like warmed over buffalo chips.

· Registered
297 Posts
My opinion you got a 105k miles on you stock pads.Thats what I would put back on,just remember Acdelco make 3 Grades of brake parts advantage,professional(aka durastop)and gm original equipment.Spend the extra and put the gm original equipment back on.

· Registered
887 Posts
Asking what kind of brakes is like asking what tires or what tonneau cover, you'll get all kinds of answers.

I ordered AC Delco pads and rotors off Amazon for my wife's car. She had gotten 90k+ miles out of the original AC Delco parts and still had life when replaced. I got them cheaper shipped to my door for less than OEM AutoZone or O'Reillys. And they fit much better than any other brake parts I've bought from local parts store.

· Registered
861 Posts
I stay away from ceramic for my truck. 1 because they make a lot of dust. 2 they don't have the stopping power of semi metallic. Metallic will last longer. Ceramic will give a quieter ride and wont get the squeaking. Organic breaks are not recommended for trucks. As they wear very fast and can not hold what ceramic or metallic can. When hauling a trailer with 10,000LBS in it I rather have a squeak then glazed breaks.

· Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all for the input.

BRAND USED/BRAKE FEEL
I put Wagner TQ pads on the front. They don't feel any different; should they? Truck brakes the same as before. It stops fine, just no noticeable difference.

PAD CONDITION
Pads had about 2-4 mm left on them. The metal piece that causes the warning squeal was just starting the touch.

DE-GLAZE?
Should I have de-glazed the rotors? I didn't want to machine them down at all, since they looked fine. If I do need to deglaze them, should I just sand them with 400 grit, or use steel wool, or something else?

My FLAPS had nothing nice to say about the Hawk pads, by the way. Said they were old, whatever that means. Just thought I'd mention it since these were a recommended brand.

· Registered
880 Posts
I went with the power stops extreme tows and rotors for the front and their rear shoes. Will be installing all of it on Sunday. I am pretty hard on my brakes.

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
22,227 Posts
They are factory replacement pads so you're not going to have much better brake feel. If you went with the power stop pad and rotor kit then yes you would have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
880 Posts
thats good to know

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.