Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so.. Two days ago I accidentally took an offramp too fast, I didn't know the area and no signs indicating how sharp of a turn it was. I was slowing down as fast as I could but the rear end started bouncing and skidding on me, almost lost control.

There is now a sort of grinding noise coming from the back of the truck and it seems like it's "limping" or "loping" a bit. I'm thinking maybe a bent axle shaft but I haven't been able to watch it drive and I couldn't see much just adjusting my mirrors to try and look at the wheels in motion.

Anyone else have any ideas? Seen or heard something similar before?

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
Unless you actually "hit" something, I cannot imagine that wheel hopping would damage anything like a rim or axle. I agree that you should concentrate on the brakes. Maybe one of them is locked up.
You don't have an ABS, Traction Control or Stabilitrac message or light on, do you?

· Registered
554 Posts
If the vehicle is ten years old (as listed), it could be something that was worn or loose and the sudden braking and turning jolted it enough to cause this problem. Could be something with the shocks, the brakes or even the driveshaft. Do you notice the problem when you are moving forward, or just when you apply the brakes or turn?

· Administrator, TOTM, How-To Author
9,566 Posts
That happened to me once in downtown Chicago when I was 150 miles from home. I never hit anything but the rear of my '90 Silverado jumped and bounced around on really rough pavemet when I slammed on the brakes going around a corner. It turned out to be a u-joint.

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't hit anything, drums in the rear and no idiot lights on. I'll definitely look at the drums since I haven't even given them any attention in the 3 years that I've owned the truck. Thanks for the suggestion on checking the u joints and shocks also. Hopefully it's nothing with the driveshaft.

The problem is heard and felt when I am moving, not only braking and turning. Unfortunately I am out of town for the week and won't have a chance to look at it until Saturday..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.