Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 GMC 1500 Sierra EXT cab and I am planning on doing a 6" BDS lift with 35"tires. I have stock 3.42 gears. Would I need to switch my gears out? If so what should I switch them out to? I do 95% highway driving.
Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
I would consider a gear change of at least 3:73's or 4:10's IMO. 4:10's if you haul/tow anything at all or live in a area that is very hilly or mountainous...the bigger tires can really lug the motor when going uphill and really increase tranny temps..

·
Registered
533 Posts
+1 on that,
3.73s would get you back to just a smidge taller gears than you have now,
go for the 4.10 for better acceleration unless you drive like an old lady like me.

Joe

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
If your gonna change them might as well and go with 4:10s IMO. 3:73s will get the job done but if you tow or live in the hills you will be glad you went with the 4:10s.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
821 Posts
I"m still running 3.42 with 35's and yes everyone is correct. I drive my truck in manual mode or tow mode often at hwy speed. I can't tell if the Tuner helps or not but I am glad I have the 6 speed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ooohhdave said:
I"m still running 3.42 with 35's and yes everyone is correct. I drive my truck in manual mode or tow mode often at hwy speed. I can't tell if the Tuner helps or not but I am glad I have the 6 speed.
I as well have the six speed. I will get the 4.10s down the rode. Would I have to change the shift points in the transmission cause of the new gears? I do have a Bully Dog gt tuner 40415.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Yes if you want 4:10s you have to put them in the rear end and front if your 4x4. The bully dog should reflash your computer so everything will be accurate after the gear swap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.