Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my first gmc ever, need to understand how the a/c works or if there's a problem.

2006 sierra work truck....a/c is frigid cold, no complaints.

I dont hear the a/c compressor cycling so I press the snowflake button thinking it will deenergize the clutch circuit but the compressor keeps running.

I notice that pressing the recirculate to fresh air turns the compressor off. If the compressor does not cycle, how does it defrost?

Do I have a problem?

· Super Moderator, Servicemen, SS Guru
10,659 Posts
The snowflake is an always-on indicator for the compressor. Do you have any sort of climate control? If so, and you leave on it cold, it will do what it can without the compressor, but will cycle it on and off as needed. Using the snowflake button leaves the compressor on.

That's how it is in my 2006, but I also have an LT, which may be different than the WT.

· Registered
483 Posts
If you have your recirculate button on, the compressor will run when needed depending on what setting of cool you have your truck set at. Regardless of whether the AC snowflake button is on or not. But it only works this way if you have it On the vents. And not the floor or defrost.

· Registered
19 Posts
rotundra said:
not sure what climate control is

I have 2 sliders which i assume left right control and 2 rotary knobs

All i can say for sure is no matter how you use that button, the compressor stays on
My new to me 06 works exactly the same.
I put an on/off switch on the dash that shuts off the compressor so now I have full control of when the compressor runs.
I have done this to all my previous cars that didn't have a compressor switch from the factory so I can run in recirculate mode during cool weather because the wife can't stand breathing exhaust fumes especially from diesels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.