Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When chasing down an electrical Gremlin on my truck I found that this part under the driver side rocker panel was not connected. I plugged the connected in the part and it started making a humming noise I never heard before so I disconnected it. Can someone tell me the name of this part and if it should be connected ? My truck is a 99 Silverado LS 2 wheel drive with the 5.3 automatic trans. Thanks in advance for your help.

· Registered
1,110 Posts
That is your EBCM/ABS module. Probably have had an ABS warning light on your dash. Those things used to go out relatively often and would tend randomly fire the ABS when they would malfunction. It can be fixed most of the time without having to replace the module with a little bit of work with a soldering iron. I'm in the process of trying to get the darn EBCM unscrewed from the ABS module on my coworker's 04 Silverado without having to disconnect all the brake lines, but the torx screws are all rusted up.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought it might have something to do with braking....just wasn't positive on that. So given it's not working properly when connected and leaving it unplugged = no ABS braking, I'll probably leave it alone for now because braking is working just fine with it unplugged and I don't drive the truck daily it mainly will serve as my Home Depot / Lowes and
light cleanup around the house hauling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.