Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
yeah the wifes ride has it.. That's the only reason I knew about it too. lol

My first thoughts was It would be great to have but not a deal breaker if I did not (I thought it would mean a very expensive unit) turns out I was wrong.

Edit:
price wise, dont really have a budget but it sort of looks like around 1200 now.. little more is okay but not wanting to get into competition level and 2k plus
HU 300ish
speakers 200ish
misc wires 100ish
sub 2-300
amp 300ish

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I got on crutchfield again and was chatting with someone.. one thing led to another and I got another list of items for a "build".

Here is the cart. I dont need the cutters, quick connects or trim tools but I suppose I will need everything else.

This HU does not play DVD like the pioneer I linked a couple posts back.

Also I do not want the sub amp combo.. and they didnt change that after I stated that so ignore the kicker.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Have you had a car with Apple CarPlay? That shit is genuinely revolutionary. If I didn't hate aftermarket double dins I would get one myself
What's your hang up with aftermarket double dins?

·
Registered
131 Posts
2009 silverado 1500 crew cab, stock headunit, non bose, LT trim.

Recently bought some 2020 factory front and rear door speakers from a member to replace the two rear ones since they were done for. The stock 2020 had 6x9 in the front so that doesn't work in mine. Thought I could make it but its more custom than I would like to do.

A long while back I was quoted a list of things from crutch field to the tune of $1400 or so. But I remember talking with several people and it seemed to be unanimous in favor of a different amp and headunit than what is listed below.

Now for the actual question. Can someone explain it to me like I am 5.

What do I need to be looking for when buying a headunit and speakers? RMS, frequency, ohm, does the cone material matter?
At what point do I need to get an amp, only when adding subs?
If I wanted to do it in stages should I do the HU first or all of the door speakers first?
different tweeters needed?

here are the specs on the infinity kappas above

View attachment 942175

I just completely replaced my entire system so if I can help in any way just send me a PM.

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Yeah I remember reading the thread, what did you end up going with out of curiosity?

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,824 Posts
What's your hang up with aftermarket double dins?
I just think they look cheap. I don't know what it is but I just hate the styling of them. The feel also just seems so off. I'm not sure everyone thinks that I'm weird for that but for the life of me I can't come to want to pick one up.

·
Premium Member
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
4,429 Posts
I installed a similar Pioneer head unit in my wife's 05 Honda Element. It sounds really good, even in that very reliable 260,000 mile tin can. I think the only difference between the one you spec'd is that the one I installed also plays CDs....(as we're both old school.)
The only problem is my wife has been playing the same CD for about 2 years now, because she cannot remember where the eject button is, and I won't tell her.....I told her to read the manual. LOL!!!

• Haha
Reactions: Bradley21sanders

·
Registered
131 Posts
I just think they look cheap. I don't know what it is but I just hate the styling of them. The feel also just seems so off. I'm not sure everyone thinks that I'm weird for that but for the life of me I can't come to want to pick one up.

I'm kind of the opposite, I love the look and feel of an aftermarket DD HU. Over the weekend I installed a Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX. IMO the NEX series is an awesome series that comes with a ton of amenities. This particular Pioneer model seems to be a very popular and sought after model.

Most important it has wireless Carplay (which is convenient as hell)
You can bluetooth 2 phones simultaneously
Its half as deep as most HU so a small amp will fit behind it if you want to conceal it there.
Built-in Siri and Alexa
Has several display widgets to choose from including sports and weather
And of course has the ability to display vehicle info such as codes.

In 1985 when you installed this into a 1979 Z28 you really thought you had something. I could never FATHOM how good sounding, technologically advanced, and awesome a HU would be in 2021.

Gadget Audio equipment Multimedia Font Electronic device

In the mid 80s if you had a "SuperTuner" you had something.

·
Registered
1999 Silverado ECSB 6.0
1,824 Posts
Wireless carplay is baller

21 - 29 of 29 Posts