Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year, I purchased an 04 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3. The thing was an absolute beast, with 175K on it. I used it as a daily, and took it on many road trips, without a single issue. I never owned a Chevy prior to this one, and was super happy with it.

This week, I took of the bed of the truck to inspect some frame rust, only to realize there are large chunks missing on both sides, right where the bump stops are. In addition, the rear-most crossmember is basically non-existent. I began poking around with a screwdriver, and quickly began finding multiple other trouble areas all around the frame.

I'm glad I realized when I did, but this truck is not safe for the road, and has seen its last day. It's sad news, but I do not have the time and resources to do a frame swap on it. My question is: What do I do with it?

Morally, (and possibly legally) there is no way I'm going to sell that to another person. Unless I knew for certain they are not planning on using or trying to repair the frame. The only options I can think of are scrapping it, which I'll probably get the least amount of money for. Or parting it out, which seems unlikely because I don't have a garage/ storage space. Are there any options, which I am not considering on how to get at least some of what I paid for it back? Where would I even begin trying to find a market of people who are specifically looking for a frame damaged truck? It's a good truck, it would be a shame to see it go to a crusher.

Thanks so much for the help, I am new to this forum, as I have not had this truck for very long.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
If you aren’t able to repair it or replace the frame and don’t have the space for parting it out or don’t want to /csn’t sell it with the understanding that the frame is not safe, then selling to a salvage yard or a crusher is pretty much your only option.

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
19,262 Posts
How's the body? I've seen trucks with good bodies but shot frames.

I would post it for sale, but make note of the bad frame, and then when people look at it just make sure they know the frame is bad. If they buy it that's on them at that point. All your duty is to make them aware.

Having said that, parting it out may be able to yield the best results, but that takes time and space.

·
Registered
2009, 2500HD, 6.0 L, 4x4, Ext Cab, Alumn FlatBed
436 Posts
You could always cut or break the frame so that it would not, in any way, be drivable on the road. List it as a "parts only" for sale truck. Yes always disclose the problems in a bill of sale to CYA.

·
Registered
2003 Silverado 1500 LS
1,339 Posts
Advertise it as a "parts truck". There are surely some guys out there looking for parts. Just make sure to cover yourself legally (as per your state) with regards to the rotted frame. Some joker might buy it and then happily drive it until something in the frame broke, and caused an accident, and you want to make sure you CAN'T POSSIBLY be held liable. So do your homework.

Buddy of mine recently sold a 2500 with same frame-rot issue. He got rid of it in less than a week.

·
Administrator
7,325 Posts
^^^^ this. Make any buyer sign a letter that they are aware the truck is not road worthy, etc. And don't just sign over the title. Go to the DMV with them, tell the clerk it's being sold for parts, and make sure the title is transferred to the buyer's name right then and there.

Reactions: FishLady
1 - 8 of 8 Posts