Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed an order for a set of BF Goodrich At KO in 275/70-18 tires on Saturday from www.tirerack.com, and I wanted to use them on my stock 18" Z71 Wheels. I ordered these tires for a few reasons, but one of them being that I tow a few trailers, one of which is a 10k lbs trailer and I wanted to have the "E" Rating that these BFG's have. I have the stock Chevy Z71 wheels on my truck, but I might be interested in ordering a set of Black aftermarket wheels the more I keep looking around.

My concern is that a lot of the aftermarket products/wheels have very small load rating typically around 2000-2200 lbs. The "E" Rated tires, have a load rating of 3640lbs each. So don't I need a wheel that has the same load rating as my stock wheels and or the same as the tires are rated to? If so, I am looking at the KMC Skitch and KMC XD models, Bomb, Misfit, Boss, or the American Racing AR890 or AR901 or something comparable to that style. I don't know what the stock offset is on my stock chevy wheels, or what I will need in offset for the aftermarket wheels. Can you help me, or provide suggestions on what I should do? This is being used on my 2011 Z71 CC LTZ. How do I pick a phat aftermarket black wheel, that looks as good as these do above, but that are actually strong enough to tow with and run an E rated tire?

·
Registered
751 Posts
I would try to get a wheel with as high of a load rating as possible that you like. I'll have to admit I don't know anything about load ratings but I'm assuming you don't want your wheel being your weakest link of ya know what I mean? But I would so some searching on offset on here cause tons of guys have asked about it before and I still don't know much about that either! :lol: sorry I'm not too much help but you're guna love those tires!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find it interesting that no one can answer this question, and I don't mean on this site. I have contacted tirerack.com, Fuel wheels, and KMC wheels. We always discuss safety on using correct tires and wheels, and especially for towing purposes, yet no one can answer whether or not it matters what load rating a set of wheels should have especially when the tires are rated much higher than all aftermarket wheels.

I guess I shouldn't be worrying about this so much, but I want to do my due diligence from a safety and functional perspective. Ugh!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Couldn't find any answers still, so I decided to save the cash and use my stock 18" Z71 wheels for the new BFG's to be mounted on Thursday morning. I can't wait.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.