Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to add wheel spacers to the truck. I had seen quite few people talking about how their back axle is shorter and so they wanted to add a spacer to make it even. Well I am curious if this is all the trucks or just the hd's or what. It seems like I see it more when someone is talking about a hd. If it is this way with all trucks what is the spacer needed to even it up so that I could even it up and add more. I am thinking about an inch and half is what I want.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Tires outside the fenders look like crap in my book, and I would never run a spacer on anything my wife or kids would be in. Thousands run them and swear by them but not me. Remember the OEM designs the wheels so they don't overload the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
395 Posts
For size to even out the track width, just measure how much more the fronts stick out than the rear, mine was about 1" I also wanted the tires to sit out a hair or atleast be even. But with my truck if you run 1.5" or less you need to trim the lugs a little. It isnt much and you dont have to cut any threads its just the rounded part on the end. I ran 1.5" front and 2.5" rear to give it an even look.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Which stock wheels do you have? On most oem 20" there are grooves between each hole so the stock wheel stud could slide into the wheels. I had 1.25" wheels spacers on stock 20's and didn't need to cut any studs.

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,973 Posts
wildchevy said:
Tires outside the fenders look like crap in my book, and I would never run a spacer on anything my wife or kids would be in.
Glad you are not afraid to state your opinion....but it is just an opinion. In my opinion, stance is everything. Again, just an opinion.

wildchevy said:
Thousands run them and swear by them but not me. Remember the OEM designs the wheels so they don't overload the wheel bearings.
Wheel spacers are the cheap way (sorry, let me politically correct; inexpensive way) to create stance. The best way to accomplish the change is by offset, but it is the normally the same on all wheels. It will still overload the bearing because the bearings were designed to have a certain amount of weight outside of the mid-line.

Honestly, I don't think that when the OP drives down the street that everyone is staring and pointing at his truck saying "Oooooh look, his front tires stick out approximately 1" to 1 1/2" further than his rear tires." Our trucks were designed by engineers that have far more education than we do and there is a reason they designed the trucks this way. Of course, many of us like to push the envelope. We should always consider others when making changes to the design. Although you may not intend to do damage to the vehicle or put your family in harm's way, it may happen, regardless of your intent or need for a sexy truck like mine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.