Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
115 Posts
I'mg gonna say no. Big changes to software and data bus systems changed in 2013 and even more in 2014. The head's on the new trucks control A LOT. They handle onstar, climate controls, exterior lighting, interior lighting, door locks, and the DIC on the 2014 + trucks. You'd be better off to get a high end factory looking Nav system. You can guarantee compatibility with them. They have the modules/adapters to handle what the heads in that generation of truck runs. The new aftermarket heads now are extremely complex for these trucks, it's no longer a job you can really do yourself.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
Well, I do know that if it is possible, it is NOT plug and play. The head unit would need to be reprogrammed to the VIN on the new truck at the very least. This can be done by a dealer or some high tech shops with the proper equipment. There are some online sources as well. But you will have to pay to have it done. I think it is usually in the $100 plus range. Unless you find an NNBS Nav unit for a really good price, you are probably better going aftermarket.

· Registered
31 Posts
I would definitely agree with esox07. Aftermarket head unit. I put a Kenwood in my 2005 with the harness for the steering wheel remote controls.
I saw some really Nice Pioneer's also. You can get Nav and a backup camera if you want. There a bit pricey but you might find one on sale.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the replies.

I've been looking at stock navigational unit from MVI (https://www.gm-navigation.com/) and OEM (http://www.oemautopartsco.com/)

been looking at some Pioneers & Kenwood units... but don't know how plug and play they are when don't really show the plug & play adapters

I've got WIFI in my truck now, does anyone know how that would impact or work with aftermaket or OEM navigational unit

thanks,,, dave

· Registered
1,891 Posts
Are you looking at those $1,500 nav systems?

If you are planning anywhere close to that, get the alpine restyle and dont consider anything else. by far and above the best upgrade in the price range if you're looking for a one stop shop setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.