Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Silverado 1500 LT
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I posted on here about some AC issues I was having. After having a shop recharge the system they had told me that my fan clutch was going bad and that was causing my other AC issue.

The issue I have with my AC is that when I am cruising along everything blows nice and ice cold. However, if I am at an idle for too long (lets say 15-30 seconds or more) the AC will kick off and it will begin to blow hot air. It will blow hot air anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute or so and then I can hear what I assume is the compressor kick over and it begins to blow cold air again.

This was a problem pre-charge and post-charge so I don't believe it has to do with Freon levels but rather mechanical, like the shop mentioned.

Would it be a bad fan clutch that is causing this? Or something else?

2004 Silverado 1500 4x4 ext cab
196k miles

·
Super Moderator
2021 GMC Sierra AT4 6.2l
706 Posts
No air movement will absolutely cause the a/c to not work. Just as common a issue on vehicles with electric fans, when the motors burn up, that is exactly what happens.

·
Registered
43 Posts
zbk is correct, if no air flows across the condensor the pressure builds to high and the A/C will shut off. When you take off from a stoplight do hear the fan whirring like a helicopter, or at time of cold start up do you hear the fan and then it quiets down after initial startup /idling.

·
Registered
2014 Silverado 1500 LT
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sp7128 said:
zbk is correct, if no air flows across the condensor the pressure builds to high and the A/C will shut off. When you take off from a stoplight do hear the fan whirring like a helicopter, or at time of cold start up do you hear the fan and then it quiets down after initial startup /idling.
I definitely hear the fan pretty loud when I first start the truck and then it winds down.

In any case, I just ordered a new fan clutch and it should be here Friday! I am super interested to see if I get some colder A/C as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts