Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 1500 2wd 5.3, 156K miles

oil pressure varies at steady state operation which points to the spring in the oil pump. Once vehicle starts up oil pressure is fine, but from the time the RPM drops post start up and before its fully warmed up if i come to a stop the oil pressure drops and low oil pressure warning comes up. It could be the o-ring on the pickup tube but i got a high volume oil pump to change while i am in there.

Since its a 2wd I plan to remove the cross member and oil pan entirely

My question is what else will i need to do this?

new crank pully bolt (since torque to yield)
water pump gaskets
timing cover gasket
oil pan gasket
new thermostat and thermostat gasket
timing cover crankshaft seal

is there anything else i will need?

Also, the oil pump came with the o-ring for the pickup tube...but is there an o-ring that goes from the oil pump to the block?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Finally got around to swapping the pump this weekend.

Problem fixed! oil pressure is 45 at idle and goes up to 80. granted i put in a melling high volume high pressure unit.
When I took it apart, the o-ring on the pickup tube crumbled off so it was sucking in air. i still want to take apart the pump i removed to check out the pressure spring.

some of the things i needed additionally were:
3 jaw puller
large strap wrench
longer hardware store version of the crank bolt to pull the balancer back on.

no more low oil pressure warnings
no more loud valve train noise on startup

truck runs smoother and lets see if it uses less oil since it will not be sucking in air and vaporizing the oil and sucking through the pcv

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
What made you decide on high volume/high pressure pump instead of an OEM replacement?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great question,

First of all, its my daily driver. no race vehicle. I am not spinning at 6000 rpm for hours going across the desert. if I was, some times the high vol units can suck the pan dry before it trickles back down.

also my truck has about 150k miles so the tolerances have relaxed a bit.

The melling unit that I bought from summit came with 2 springs so i could have made it a stock pressure version by changing that.

I suspected the o ring on the pickup tube was dried out and I was correct. it crumbled off. and since I was knee deep in the front of the motor I might as well swap the pump.

Plus if i did swap the o-ring, and the pump gears were worn themselves and i put it back together and stil had issues i would be very happy.

as a daily driver 2000 rpm at 65 mph the high vol/pressure unit was for me. I can still rev it out no problem without worry since i wont be doing that for long periods of time.

the higher volume and pressure cant hurt it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.