Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance, i have the 2014 silverado crew cab standard bed, 1500 5.3L with the MAX tow package and bags on rear. I'm wondering if it will handle a travel trailer that is 35'9" tip to tip that weighs dry close to 7000, with 625# hitch weight. I realize that the numbers say yes but wanted to get some opinions from those who are doing the same thing with the same truck. I may or moay not pull it on long trips and in mountains. Mostly flat lands however.

· Member Extraordinaire, Servicemen, How-To Author
17,133 Posts
Pull it yes. But I wouldn't want to pull it very far and don't expect to pull it fast. Keep in mind that a dry weight is going to balloon to a much higher weight once it is loaded up with food, water, gear, passengers, etc...

You are going to get a wide range of opinions to this question, but bottom line is, I would ask the dealer or seller if you could hook up and test drive it. Make sure you tow it in town and then on the highway with some modest hills.

Bottom line is: That is a big trailer for a 1500. I would either look at a smaller/lighter trailer or look for a 2500 HD truck. This is coming from someone that has a 19' travel trailer that rates dry at just under 3000 lbs.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I tend to agree. I cannot justify the cost for a 2500 or 3500 nor the associated cost that go with them, however, I can downsize a bit and still drive my truck that gets decent mileage on a daily basis and pull a somewhat smaller trailer. Now just to convince the wife!

· Registered
226 Posts
My Trailer is a 30' with two slides and it pulls it with no problem. Now my cousin has a 36' trailer and has no issues with some hills and pulling it 165 miles one way to where he takes it and camps then pulls it back.

· Registered
1,081 Posts
may opt for a slightly used 2500HD.

lucky for me - the 04 2500HD i have, has been in the family since new. I know every bit of what has been done to it.

but as nice and new that 1500 you have there..i dont think id put that behind it and think that truck will last long time.

it will pull it, but i bet when the family decides to take a nice trip out west or east..which involves some mountains...youre going to wish you had the 2500 real quick.

shoot... we took a trip out west to yellowstone and grand canyon.
Even the 2500HD with 4.10 gear...one trip up rocky and we had to stop for a sec as we noticed tran temp move a lil...nothing crazy ...but decided to stop for a bit.
at that moment...we thought man....shouldve gotten that diesel.

· Registered
226 Posts
dRewville said:
may opt for a slightly used 2500HD.

lucky for me - the 04 2500HD i have, has been in the family since new. I know every bit of what has been done to it.

but as nice and new that 1500 you have there..i dont think id put that behind it and think that truck will last long time.

it will pull it, but i bet when the family decides to take a nice trip out west or east..which involves some mountains...youre going to wish you had the 2500 real quick.

shoot... we took a trip out west to yellowstone and grand canyon.
Even the 2500HD with 4.10 gear...one trip up rocky and we had to stop for a sec as we noticed tran temp move a lil...nothing crazy ...but decided to stop for a bit.
at that moment...we thought man....shouldve gotten that diesel.
When I start doing a lot of traveling I will be getting a Diesel

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.