Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD with a 8.1L V8. I'm having a 6 inch lift with toyo RT 35s put on next week. My coworker said having large tires can ruin my transfer case depending on the vehicle. I was wondering if anyone knows if I would have any issues

· Member Extraordinaire, How-To Author, TOTM
23,197 Posts
It will put more stress on every component of your truck. Not just the tcase, but ruining it is going ambit far unless you're beating the heck out of it. But make sure to post some pics of that beast when it's done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Premium Member
3,339 Posts
KevinPease said:
I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD with a 8.1L V8. I'm having a 6 inch lift with toyo RT 35s put on next week. My coworker said having large tires can ruin my transfer case depending on the vehicle. I was wondering if anyone knows if I would have any issues
The likelihood of large tires doing anything to your transfer case is very slim. Large tires like to pick on other things first, like front end suspension components that are constantly in use, ball joints tie rod ends and the like that are compromised by added weight and geometry.
The biggest thing that big tires wear out are brakes. You add A LOT of weight when you increase rim and tire size and your stock brakes are designed to stop a stock vehicle. I notice a big difference in stopping power when I went from a stock tire to a 275/70/18 A/T tire.
Ask you pal if it also affects the flux capacitor, which we all know, makes time travel possible.
Not to be a smart ass (whoops already did that) but to answer your question the transfer case is something you wont have to worry about with your lift and tire combo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.