Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Liking my GMC so far but a few bugs.
I can hear substantial wind noise on freeway on the driver side. Cannot figure out where it is from. I assume it's either a door seal or windshield seal. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, the inside of the windshield seems to fog up a lot. Did not have this issue in my last truck. Any idea on cause?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have that wind noise like crazy on the highway, sounds like it's the plastic vibrating against the windshield, super annoying! Not sure how to fix , thinking of a way to lay something down in between the two ..?

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
^ There is a TSB on that windshield noise. I just had it fixed on my 2013 this week. I don't have the link at the moment for yhe notice but hopefully someone has it handy

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Not to sure about the 2014 or the fog issue but I know 2007-13 can be several issues. Most find it to be the bug shield if they have one installed making wind noise and sounds of rattles from the windshield wipers and others have had the windshield seal issue where there is a fix for taping the seal and trimming it. There's a TSB for the 2007-2013 but I can't find it.

Fix for 2007-13
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/how-t ... llars.html

·
Registered
761 Posts
^ +1
I did this to my 13 a few weeks ago and being here in Kansas with this hard blowing wind I can honestly say that this method works to get rid of that rattling with the trim and windshield.

Sent via my VZW Galaxy S3.

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
The TSB for the '13 and earlier trucks may not apply.

·
Registered
148 Posts
dtapp23 said:
Hi everyone. Liking my GMC so far but a few bugs.
I can hear substantial wind noise on freeway on the driver side. Cannot figure out where it is from. I assume it's either a door seal or windshield seal. Anyone else have this issue?

Also, the inside of the windshield seems to fog up a lot. Did not have this issue in my last truck. Any idea on cause?

Thanks!
I'm not having any of the issues you named with my 14' silverado. The fogging windshield and wind noise sound like a bad seal somewhere. I'd take it to the dealer and let them work it out.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
dtapp23,

Hello! I understand that although you love your vehicle, you are concerned about the wind noise you are hearing. I am happy to look into this concern for you. Could you private message me referencing this thread including your contact information, VIN, current mileage, and preferred dealership?

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Silverado. I have a bad wind noise and leak around the top front of the drivers door. It is so annoying that I can't take my truck on a trip. I paid $50,000 for it. My dealer says he hasn't heard of the problem. I'm not sure they know what to do about it. It has to either be fixed or I'll have to get rid of the truck. Do you know what the fix is for this problem? Eddie Sexton 502-645-0102

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
esexton,

I understand that you are seeking advice from your fellow forum members about this vehicle issue and I might not be able to give any technical advice. I would be happy to look into this concern for you. Please private message me if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello:

I too have a 2014 GMC Sierra Pick-up that I like for he most part, except two issues which I consider unacceptable;

1) The drivers side door wind noise is awful on the expressway, in fact I have it in for service for that very reason right now and told them I don't want it back until that issue is fixed.
2) The top edge of the Pick-up bed tailgate is very, very thin metal, something that you would expect to find on a Japanese Import. EXAMPLE: If the tailgate is down and you accidently back into something like a pole or a wall you are backing towards the tailgate will bend like cardboard absolutely ZERO strength, NO REINFORCEMENT or SUBSTANCE whatsoever!

Fine if this is a gentleman's truck for looks only, but for guys that actually USE their trucks, very, very disappointing!

Thanks, I am only commenting in hopes for improvement for our AMERICAN MADE products...

Kerry W. Morgan
[email protected]
810-516-7774

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchase 2013 Silverado last September and on our first trip the wind noise drove us nuts. I have waited until I needed service to take it to the Dealer to address this issue. The Dealer first told me that the wind problem was due to the Weather Tech visors and I explained that the noise was present prior to the installation of the visors and they agreed to look at the truck again. The second reason the Dealer presented as the source of the noise is wind rushing around the side mirrors. I am having a hard time believing this (the Dealer also told me that the accelerated wear on my front right tire was due to making left turns). Has GM released a TBA concerning this?

·
Registered
22 Posts
worked in a ford dealership years ago and seen this done and it will fix wind noise on the door . I have also done this on several doors myself , takes less then a min but some caution is needed . first : window down all the way !!!!
second: place knee against door panel , grab top of door frame with both hands and pull hard or soft depending on feel , you are tweaking the window frame in this tightens it up to seal better .
as for the windshield fog , a leaking heater core is all that i can think of .

·
Registered
36 Posts
Do you ever wipe the inside of your windshield with a cloth or napkin? I find that doing this will cause it to fog up way quicker and easier. Give it a good cleaning with a window cleaner then DO NOT wipe it when it fogs up on the inside. Allow the engine to warm and let the defrost take care of it, it will defrost much faster and stay defrosted.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2013, and am currently driving a 2014 while mine is in for service. The noise on my 2013 is much more substantial than the 2014, even living in amarillo where it's 30mph winds daily. While I'm not a big fan of the 2014, it is MUCH quieter. When I get my 2013 back I'll be installing dynamat throughout to see if that will take the noise away

·
Registered
1 Posts
esexton said:
I have a 2014 Silverado. I have a bad wind noise and leak around the top front of the drivers door. It is so annoying that I can't take my truck on a trip. I paid $50,000 for it. My dealer says he hasn't heard of the problem. I'm not sure they know what to do about it. It has to either be fixed or I'll have to get rid of the truck. Do you know what the fix is for this problem? Eddie Sexton 502-645-0102
Hi. I very recently bought a 2012 Silverado w/ extended cab. It has a hood protector. On a recent trip during windy weather The windshield noise became very loud. Today I called my local Chevy dealer, service advisor, he said he'd never heard of this problem. He did ask if I had a hood protector(yes) and that windshield problems are on only covered for 7,500 miles (my truck has 17000 miles. No satisfaction from Chevy. I just installed some 3M double stick molding tape, between windshield and trim as suggested by some of the forum guys. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I'm sure it's not as rare or unheard of as Chevy claims.
Pete, ATC/chev

·
Administrator
2009 Chevy Z71; sounds fast.
6,973 Posts
Take the bug shield off. If it solves the problem, choose whether or not to put it back on. If you choose to put it back on, turn up the stereo (that cured it for me).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 2014 Crew Cab, with approx 8500 miles. I too have wind noise from the drivers side door, and after 2 visits to the dealer in Austin the wind noise is still there, maybe worse. Dealership claims they could not duplicate the problem.
During one of the service visits, they performed the recall on my sliding rear window. Before the recall I didn't have any leaks, after the recall my back window leaks when I wash my truck at the car wash.
I traded a 2012 crew cab, and glad I did. The 2014 is an amazing truck! The ride, MPG, interior....I love it all!
Does anyone else have the wind noise problems?

Bob

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.