Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 210,000 mi
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was an odd one that just happened. In all my years of driving and owning vehicles (34+) I have never had this happen. The family were all in the truck and sitting at a light. I washed off some gunk and the smell hit. I dismissed it that it was the truck next to us or something. Everyone in the truck was complaining and blaming each other. Further down the road in our drive, we were stopped at a light again and I noticed a smudge from a bug or something so hit the spray and wipers again and wham...we were hit with that smell again!! I was told in no uncertain terms NOT to spray the windshield fluid again...haha.

I googled this and found that there were a lot of hits complaining of the same thing. So odd that I had never experienced it. The only thing I can surmise is that possibly a recent addition of some fluid I added that had been sitting in the garage for some time had gotten this way due to the heat...but I just don't know how washer fluid with all its additives can do this.

Anyone else have this happen?

I bought two fresh jugs of some RainX from Walmart yesterday and will drain the tank...clean with some bleach and drain and flush again and then refill with fresh stuff.

·
Registered
2017 Silverado LTZ Z71
5,360 Posts
You sure your kids aren't trying to pull a fast one on you?

·
Registered
679 Posts
lol that's really weird Neal
I would drain the reservoir from the bottom hose and rinse water through to pull as much contaminants out without later sending them through the pump and nozzles, flush with purified water through the windshield nozzles, then flush again with a diluted all purpose cleaner, flush that, then refill with washer fluid.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'd be careful with bleach/chlorine, even diluted, as it could eat hoses and seals. I wouldn't go more than 10%, maybe even just 5% through the hoses and pump.

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
Might be a bit overkill, but you could also try a sanitizer solution that won't eat seals, or stink beyond comprehension. My best recco would be Star-San. I use that in my homebrewing, and it works very well to remove cleaning odors or just stale ale funk.. It is a foaming solution, so it will get through the entire system, and it doesn't get gummy or clog anything up. On my first brew each year, I usually use a boiling water and bleach solution, then rinse with Star-San, which is no rinse itself, so you could add some distilled water and a cap-full of Star-San, and then just run it through, then refill with whatever you use and not worry about any residue. It's also NSA/food grade, so it will kill pretty much anything causing a stink.

·
Registered
2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition
5,898 Posts
Rotten egg smell is indicative of high sulfur content. Household water will produce this smell if your tap water has high mineral content. That's why "special anodes" are sold for tank water heaters to prevent this from happening. "Stale" water can also produce the same smell.
You're also on Houston, so it could be a humidity factor.
Clean your tank really well, and if you don't use all your washer fluid in six months, make it a regular change-out interval.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I have also found problems with Rain-X fluid and replaced it all with the wallyworld winter formula that cuts bug guts and doesn't leave smeary crud with each wiper swipe. We've got a lot of lime in the water here and it spots like crazy in the sunlight. I'll just apply the Rain-X to the windshield myself from now on.

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC All Terrain 4x4 5.3 210,000 mi
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some good inputs. Thanks. I am not very concerned with bleach on rubber stuff. Should be safe. I don't plan to use a 100% concentrated solution anyway.

I had wanted to buy their orange All Season stuff that is good to 0 degrees...but none on the shelves. Only the green +32 degree stuff. Not a big deal down here but I had heard some say that the all season orange stuff did a better job of cleaning.

I do go though it fairly often with consistent use, but am always adding fresh to what is in there already...so perhaps every once in a while I will drain it and then add all new.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.