Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most of us know winter is right around the corner and for us member located in Northeast Ohio, winter can get pretty bad. We have been lucky the past few years but this year is supposed to be pretty bad. Since this is the first truck that I've owned I am not used to driving it in the winter. With all of my other RWD vehicles i just threw a couple sand bags in the back and said hell with it. My last vehicle was an AWD jeep commander which weighed as much as a tank... :lol: so i dint really have any issues in snow. For my truck i am planning on putting roughly 250lbs of bags of dirt and 200 pounds of sand bags. Keeping in mind that i do not and will not have a bed cover all winter, is this amount a little over kill? Please tell me what you guys think and if there are any alternatives to this.

A little info about my truck: 4x4, 2.5" leveling kit and 285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Shouldn't need any weight in the bed. If you get a lot of snow, that'll be weight enough.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I usually don't add any weight and don't usually have an issue; assuming you don't have bald tires.

I usually leave some snow in the bed as I don't have a cover; but even when it is empty, truck usually does fine in snow. If it's bad snow 4wd on.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The duratracs will be quite aggressive so that wont be an issue. I just figured since there isnt much weight in the back that it wouldnt handle well. ill see how it does the first few times then go from there

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ran duratracs on my last truck in the winter time; those were awesome tires for snow. Made it quite fun to drive in the snow.

·
Premium Member
6,959 Posts
Yes it's overkill, but all you're losing is MPG from the extra weight. I typically plow with 600 lbs in the bed (ice melt and snowblower), and that's a good setup for me. I have plowed in 2wd with nothing in the bed before; keep in mind that the plow weighs 900 lbs and is pulling the front down and lifting the back up.

·
Registered
2014 LTZ 5.3 6 sp
6,878 Posts
Just remember that anything loose in the bed can become a MISSLE and 30 pounds of frozen sand can decapitate you in the event of a accident <<< So secure it well >>> also place it over the rear axle not behind >>> you don't want the back end passing the front on a slippery corner >>> In my opinion you will not need it , it's overkill >

·
Registered
237 Posts
You wont need it. Let that four wheel drive system do its work.

But if you are really concerned, I once build a box that was stabilized between the rear wheels, using the slots in the bed. I bought two or three sand bags and put a big heavy duty garbage bag down in the frame I built, then put the sand bags down on the garbage bag and taped it shut. Then put a piece of plywood over the box frame i built, to cover up the ugly bags.

The box frame keeps the sand bags from sliding all over the bed, and the garbage bag keeps the sand from getting all over the bed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I figured that much weight would be overkill. and i was planning on making a quick box with some 2x4's, laying a tarp down, and adding a layer of plywood. and yeah i knew to place it over the axle :D thanks for the quick help guys. im gona see how it handles with just snow in the bed and i will add weight as needed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
neokonig said:
I usually don't add any weight and don't usually have an issue; assuming you don't have bald tires.

I usually leave some snow in the bed as I don't have a cover; but even when it is empty, truck usually does fine in snow. If it's bad snow 4wd on.
^THIS

Had a woman ask me once, "how do you not slide everywhere while driving in snow?" My response was "dont drive like you normally do when it's not snowing." She didn't understand lol :lol:

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I am in Buffalo and the snow can be here for a second and then gone and then .25 miles and you will literally drive into three feet. My parents live in whats called the 'snow belt' so when i drive from my house to theirs which is only like ten minutes i can go from dusting to four feet. I know the A4WD works well but i hate driving with it on all the time so I just throw four tubes of sand over the axel and that gives me enough time to switch into 4wd before i lose control in the event of a drift.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
seriously hahaha. i dont understand why so many people have trouble driving in bad weather. i take every chance i get to ride out in a thunderstorm or blizzard. i come prepared but the ability to drive safely in a dangerous environment is most crucial. im hoping for a pretty bad snow fall this winter so i get to really test out my duratracs and 4x4 :twisted: i first learned to drive during a blizzard and my dad taught me several tricks to not be one of those idiots on the side of a road or in a ditch. i just slowly roll on by them laughing to myself :mrgreen:

·
Registered
706 Posts
I also have a frame that sits over the rear axle. I use 2-40lb cinder blocks, my box of goodies ( hitchs, chains, straps etc) and 2-kitty litter containers (5 gallon buckets approx) full of sand. It works out to about 300lbs total weight including frame. I do not carry it all winter though. I remove the 2 sand buckets and sometimes the cinder blocks when no snow is expected. If i do get caught without it all i still got the duratracs to keep me going even if its not as fast.

1459300_640499189305834_1778327410_n.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
muckdawg24 said:
What is this winter you speak of?

:D

Please take no offense to this but i often feel bad for people who dont get to experience snow. There is something about a calm snowy night that just makes the cold worth it. It creates a beautiful landscape and is fun to drive in :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
djlove said:
I am in Buffalo and the snow can be here for a second and then gone and then .25 miles and you will literally drive into three feet. My parents live in whats called the 'snow belt' so when i drive from my house to theirs which is only like ten minutes i can go from dusting to four feet. I know the A4WD works well but i hate driving with it on all the time so I just throw four tubes of sand over the axel and that gives me enough time to switch into 4wd before i lose control in the event of a drift.
i know the snow belt very well. ive live in the cleveland area my entire life. and i have been to northern NY to ski several times.

·
Registered
706 Posts
There is something about a calm snowy night that just makes the cold worth it. It creates a beautiful landscape and is fun to drive in :D[/quote]

I must agree. I will actually wake up either super early or stay up very late on the 1st good snow just to beat the plow trucks and go have fun in 2wd on the roads with no one to interfere. Its awesome being able to use the whole road to have some controlled havoc.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.