Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to hear from the collective wisdom of the membership. Got my truck in June of this year. OEM wiper blades began to chatter on the down wipe after about one month so I swapped them out with Bosch Icons. Got six weeks out of those before they started chattering. Took them and swapped them out for Trico Neoforms.
Now they are chattering. Back before the weather cooled off, I would clean the bug splatter of the windshield every few days with water and a squeegee.
The only connection between all three sets is I use Rain-X washer fluid.

I have noticed when its raining and the wipers are chattering, if I spray some Rain-X washer fluid, they wipe ok for a minute or two.

Makes me think there are areas on the windshield where Rain-X washer fluid created slick spots and causes the wipers to slip.

Should I just clean the windshield and go back to using the old blue washer fluid? What else could it be?

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I'd try cleaning the glass and going back to the old blue washer fluid...

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
I use rainx zero degree... and I have no such problem with mu trico teflon beam blades... I also scrub my windshield every day when I fill up....

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Beam style works best in the tropical torrents we get here.. A nice hydrophobic coating on the windshield is great too in that blinding crap. Like he said rainx wax or something similar.

Every time I hear someone say winterize or frozen im just that much happier living in the south....

sent from my Verizon Wireless Galaxy SIII

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so new blades, windshield scrubbed with a sponge and glass polish, and blue washer fluid. Shall see how long the wiper blades last.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I had the same issue when i 1st bough truck. When i detailed it i waxed the windshield with a carnuba wax. Chattering is a thing of the past now. I do it every 6 months. No longer use rainx either

·
Registered
7,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2009 Silverado had the same problem with wiper chatter. I noted the comments about Rain X windshield cleaner, which is what I have been using for about one year. I cleaned the windshield with a water/vinegar mix. The windshield was squeaky clean when I got done. I then fired up the wipers with a dry windshield and had absolutely no chatter. I think the comments about a build up of Rain X cleaner were accurate. The same wipers I have been using (which are two months old) work like a charm, and have no squeak or chatter at all.

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
The biggest problem with wiper chatter has more to do with them sitting in one position for so long between uses. The blades have flex and flex one way going up and the other way going down. When they are at rest, they are flexed in the down position and sit there sometimes for days or weeks without moving. They get stiff in that position and after they sit in that position for so long and get baked by the sun, they tend get stiff and don't flex back for the upstroke any longer which makes them chatter going up. That is why they work great for a few months and they finally start chattering again. It isn't so much the windshield as it is the wipers themselves losing their flexibility in the rubber or silicone or whatever they are made out of.
The solution is a set of wipers that are highly resistant to the elements and getting stiff from sitting in one spot. The other solution which I have seen on some vehicles is for the wipers to park down in a position that isn't touching the window so they don't get fatigued into that down position. But, sadly our trucks don't have that little nicety. Maybe a Benz or Porsche would.
I think you can get out and treat your wipers occasionally with some kind of silicone conditioner, but damn, who wants to do that every couple weeks and I am not sure just how much that would help.

I think they could come up with a wiper that was more resistant to this problem, but then that would be like a brake company that makes brakes that last 500,000 miles. They wouldn't sell very many replacement brakes, would they.

I use rainx window treatment but it doesn't really help. I just deal with the chatter until I figure I got a decent amount of use out of the wipers and get new ones and really enjoy that two months of chatter free use before it begins again. Truth be told, I think a set of wiper blades would last for 3-4 years otherwise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.