Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2023 Chevy Silverado 1500 High Country 5.3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. John here. I just joined the website as Im gonna be a proud new owner of my first Chevy Truck.

Back in August I placed an order for a 2023 High Country custom build through my dealer. On November 7th the truck began build.

Then this past monday November 21st my dealer noticed on his GM inventory screens that the truck had been built and was issued a VIN. He told me its "Sitting in a lot somewhere at the GM Factory awaiting delivery".

So I'm wondering how long GM will take to deliver this truck from the factory (Fort Wayne, Indiana?)

I'd be glad to hear about your experiences guys.

Thanks!

here is a photo of my build from the chevy website:
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
2,603 Posts
What you wrote is somewhat confusing, as GM normally assigns a VIN to the vehicle before it's built. Perhaps your dealer wasn't checking very often.

As for shipping, from another forum I follow, it can be weeks or months waiting for transport. There does not appear to be any pattern as to when it might be shipped.

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra Denali CC 4WD Ultimate 6.2L
5,309 Posts
What you wrote is somewhat confusing, as GM normally assigns a VIN to the vehicle before it's built. Perhaps your dealer wasn't checking very often.
That is incorrect, the VIN is never released till the vehicle is built. See event code abbreviated list below.

As for shipping, that's always an unknown factor especially now with the looming RR strike. It could be weeks or months? I have ordered a few trucks in the past, the last one a 2015 Sierra and it took 4 wks from build to delivery to dealer. But those were normal times.

1000 Order On Hold at Dealership
1100 Preliminary Order Accepted. (Needs dealer allocation to move forward)
2000 Order Accepted by GMAD
2500 Order preferenced (“Picked Up”), Sent to Production Control
3000 Order Accepted by Production Control
3100 Order Available to Sequence (now becomes more stable)
3300 Order Selected and scheduled by Assembly Plant (Target Production Week usually available now)
3400 Order broadcasted (in the assembly plant production system), build process is underway and locked in sequence to the end of the line.
►3800 Vehicle Produced, it’s come off the production line. VIN now available.◄
4000 Vehicle Available to Ship
4104 Bailment Invoice Created (Shipping doc’s)
4B00 Bayed (“B”, not 8) Parked waiting on transportation
4D00 Bayed for Quality Control (unknown time period)
4106 Bailment Released (Rc’vd by Transport Co.)
4150 Vehicle Invoiced to Dealer
4200 Vehicle Shipped (In Transit)
4300 Intermediate Delivery by truck (off-site rail head, up-fitter, etc )
4V03 Estimated Delivery Date
4800 Rail Ramp Unload, at the final distribution center. Delivered by truck to dealer
5000 Vehicle Delivered to Dealer
6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer (or dealer reported sale to GM)
9000 Order Cancelled

·
Super Moderator
2015 High Country Duramax
20,655 Posts
Keep in mind, GM does not transport the trucks to their dealers.

This is all on contractors. And right now, contractors are tight. Truck drivers in general are in fairly high demand, with a short supply, so transport to their selling dealers for delivery is taking longer than normal

·
Registered
2023 Chevy Silverado 1500 High Country 5.3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Question, what is "custom" about the truck? High Country's come loaded with features.
Well, I picked what I wanted and didn't want. I basically ordered a base high country. I made sure it had a sunroof and thats about it. Removed the power running boards because prefer the hard bolted running boards, no "automatic lane change" auto driving crap because Im old school. No funky heads up display because hell its a truck. And for same reasons I went with the standard 20 inch wheels -also because I think a truck should look like a truck and not some import sedan with 22" wheels. Wife was trying to talk me into a Tahoe and I objected to "driving a bus" so I compromised and got the luxury truck. =P

·
Registered
2017 High Country 6.2L
54 Posts
Well, I picked what I wanted and didn't want. I basically ordered a base high country. I made sure it had a sunroof and thats about it. Removed the power running boards because prefer the hard bolted running boards, no "automatic lane change" auto driving crap because Im old school. No funky heads up display because hell its a truck. And for same reasons I went with the standard 20 inch wheels -also because I think a truck should look like a truck and not some import sedan with 22" wheels. Wife was trying to talk me into a Tahoe and I objected to "driving a bus" so I compromised and got the luxury truck. =P
Sounds good. Trucks have become the American family's SUV. Hope it arrives soon!

·
Registered
Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 LBZ Allison
14 Posts
There's tens of thousands of 2022 Sierra's & Silverado's shown "in transit".. and dealers already have unsold 2023's on their lots.

·
Registered
2017 High Country 6.2L
54 Posts
One more thing...trust you ordered it with the 6.2L.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts