Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw something similar and wanted to make one myself. I'll probably sell this, and maybe make more once I get the process streamlined.

Could be a mail tray, key tray, whatever...just a little kitschy beach tray thing...lol

Started with 4 pieces of pine, pre-cut at the store to 24". I cut them to length and worked the corners for the mitered joint. Just a bit of Titebond3 holds them in place with the clamp.

Added a plywood bottom, glued as well. Added a nail in each corner after. Nail heads will be covered by rubber feet of some sort..

One application of stain, sanded with 220 and wiped with denatured alcohol.

I put a pile of polished rocks I bought online on one end, then poured a clear epoxy over them to secure them in place. That was followed by 3 colored epoxies used to create the water and foam. I used a straw to blow the epoxy around to make it more natural looking. It was more vibrant when wet, but I'm still happy with the final look. It's solid now. I just need to clean up a couple spots where epoxy seeped through.

You've Got Mail...lol

Next project....Lightbox to take pictures of stuff like this, and some paintings I've done...so artsy-crafty these days...lol

Reactions: RedSLEd

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,870 Posts
How was your experience working with the epoxy? I have a slab of wood to make a live edge coffee table out of and have yet to do it

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How was your experience working with the epoxy? I have a slab of wood to make a live edge coffee table out of and have yet to do it
This was 2nd time using epoxy, although first time with woodworking and epoxy. It was pretty easy. I wish I had just a bit more, but that stuff ain't cheap...lol I paid $35 for a kit, (2) 4oz bottles, mixed at a 1:1 ratio. Mixing was easy, as was adding colored mica chips. It can get messy, but seems to clean up pretty easy with warm water and soap, as long as it hasn't dried..

Live edge tables are nice...make a little river in the middle, or even just a clear epoxy cover and they can demand quite a high price.

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,870 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not artsy enough to do the river in the middle, I would have to cut it myself. I was just going to sand it a bit and clean it up and do clear. Never could determine what we wanted to do for legs is why I haven't yet.
What brand did you use?

I have this one still in one of my lists to buy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1RAW6...olid=1RJKZKDY5CTDP&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
That's a good kit. I think the brand I used was Art-Deco, and they do sell larger bottles. But I have seen that exact product you linked in some nice builds on other forums. Made more for taking a beating.

Tables get difficult if trying to build a form around the wood....but you could use that negative space for water or other colors, designs, etc. I think without the form, you can just pour over and let it drop off the sides, bit of clean up and minor sanding/buffing to get it nice and clear again.

·
Registered
2009 5.3l 6l80
5,870 Posts
Probably would do a form, sorta odd shaped. If I can remember I will post a picture of it.

The water and foam you did looks really good

1 - 6 of 6 Posts