Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Continuing on with my woodworking saga...lol

Wife works at home 3-4 days a week, and in our kitchen. That table is counter height, and the chair she sits in is a drafting chair, which sits higher than a normal office chair. Her feet are way up off the floor, and the chair footrest is not only broken a bit, but if she wants to use that her legs are bent in all day. She has nowhere to put her feet out in front....so I built her a footstool.

Here we go...2 boards, a 1x12x6 and a 1x3x8. I also used a piece of 1x4 I had in the extra wood pile...

I cut out two pieces from the 1x12, which was actually closer to a 1x11...so I had two near-squares, 10x11.5. Those are the sides. I then drew an angled line, and set a steel square as a guide for the circ saw that led me just slightly off from the line.

Next was cutting out a bit of each side to give it some aesthetic look, and also to lighten it up a bit, make it easier for her to move as needed. I don't have the right tools, so I used my circ saw to cut two lines, then snapped off the piece. I then used my drill with a 5/8" bit to "drill-cut" the rest, which is why it looks jagged...but some sandpaper smoothed it out and removed anything that would give a snag or splinter.

Here is the first 1x4, used as a brace in the middle of the panels...and then the clamped piece with both sides attached. I also used (3) 2" nails to secure each end as well, left it all clamped for a few hours.

And the glue is dry, ready for top slats for feet.

The slats were cut to 18", plenty wide enough for her little feet, using the 1x3 board. Same nails, 2 on each board, each side, and glue as well. No need to clamp with the nails.

And it's done. I surprised the heck out of her...she knew I was going to do one, someday...she knew I had bought lumber...she knew I was sort of working on it..but I think she looked back to how long it took me to build the spice cabinet and figured this would take forever... well there little lady...aha! It's done... She'll try it out today, but on a quick test she loved it. I'll paint it a bit as well later this weekend maybe...but I think it looks pretty good as is...

So I guess the next thing to build...which will be a while, is some sort of play center for my dog...something not too big, but where was can hang his chew toys from. He loves to lie on his back and play with ropes or other chew toys above his face...it's super cute, he is a little guy too, so nothing taking up too much room...

My next real project though, is a 16x16 deck out back. I just secured lumber and Fiberon boards yesterday, now need to move some dirt and place concrete supports, etc....then I'm taking a week off after it all gets delivered and will build, and drink...and drink...lol

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Nice stool, The first one I man was flat where my feet would go and realized that was a mistake after the fact.
Does she do architecture or something? drafting chair isn't something people just willy nilly sit in, unless they just like a really tall chair I guess.

are you going to shoot in grade stakes for the concrete and all of that yourself?

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So oddly enough, when I initially asked her to sit down so I could measure, I was looking for something to use as a placeholder. I grabbed a new 8 pack of papertowels we had just bought but not yet put away. I put that under her feet, and that was basis for my measurements. She then noted how her feet were angled down a bit and that felt better than flat. So I just figured a few inches height difference would give a gentle ergonomic slope for comfort.

She only uses a drafting chair because our kitchen table is counter height, taller than a regular table, so with a basic office chair her arms are up too high and it hurts her shoulders. Drafting chairs are up higher to give a better view over a drawing/drafting table...but it also gets her up enough to not have her arms up so high, etc..

The deck will be me as much as I can...likely not going to do the frame by myself, but can probably get my neighbor to hold a board here and there. Once it's all framed, the rest I can do myself. I'm using Fiberon composite decking with Camo Edge clips so it's just a lot of repetition...

Concrete wise, it's a ground level deck, so it will rest on concrete deck blocks with a short 4x4 post attached to the frame with lags. The blocks will be partially underground, but this is similar to my old deck, which just sat on stacked 2x8 paver stones. No issues with frost heaving or stability...

·
Super Moderator
10,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And right as I submit that last reply...I get the critique.. Stool is too deep, so she can't pull her in close enough. So I will measure and see about trimming off that back edge, which is there by "lucky" mistake maybe...lol Hopefully thats enough to give it another 1" or so to push in..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts