Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
121 - 140 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I dunno. I'm not a fan of the massive style tow mirrors. Too big and bulky looking IMO...even on an HD. These kinda bridge the gap between stock and those...in aesthetics and function. Fully extended tows will have a little better visibility than these, but these are a lot better than the stock mirrors.

I like the signal better on these too. Still have to wire that up though, and I'm adding the heated function. The truck size of the plug had the heated wires, but the stock mirrors did not. I'm reading that all it takes to add them is a Tahoe/Burb HVAC switch with the rear defrost button and a relay in the underhood fuse box. Express has the same mirror connector as the 99-02s, just need to repin them, so that part is easy.

·
Registered
985 Posts
silentbravo said:
Tow mirrors been on my wishlist forever but meh, you either pay big $$$ for the premade boost auto mirrors that are plug and play, or get the cheaper Ebay mirrors and have to rewire everything yourself. I guess there are the actual OEM tow mirrors that probably plug and play but they don't look as fancy as the "new" styled mirrors, and they likely go pretty expensive as used too.
I have cheap ebay ones on both Trucks. Used the Spyder brand if I'm correct.
Neither of them vibrate like most people say and both sets are full power everything right out of the box.
They only manual part is the lower glass.
And you need to wire the additional back up lights and the signal lights if you want them steady as marker lights instead of turn signals.

Set was $149 plus shipping and taxes to Germany. So right under 300 bucks for a pair shipped to me.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #124 ·
We had 6-10 inches in the forecast this week and got 30. haha.

Wifey works in the ER and the plow hadn't been through yet at 7am, but didn't want to wake the baby up for me to drive her to work...so she tried it in the Subaru. Should have known better... It's a slight downhill grade and I thought it might make it if she gave it hell and got some good momentum, but I think the traction control kicked in. New stuff sucks. So I got to pull her out and blaze a trail for her. Truck was a champ. Check out the video.

A few days later, I finally got a chance to play in the snow with the dogs. They didn't really have any room to run at the park, so I made some room. The sun had compacted the 30 to maybe 18in of heavy stuff and I think the truck had to work harder in that than it did the fluffy 30. A rear LSD and good tires really work wonders though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
There probably is an override...I'll have to find it, because that was pretty pathetic. I priced snow tires for it and the cheapest stuff available was $960 with steelies and sensors. Ouch. Blizzaks and generic aluminum wheels were closer to $1500. And for how often you'd actually want them it seems pretty steep.

We have 2-3 inches of rain in the forecast and it's been cold, so most of that snow is still there even though it's sun-compacted. So for the first time ever, I borrowed a roof rake to get some weight off. When I replaced the roof I used 5/8ply with the double-U clips between all the sheets so I've never worried about weight. But that's HEAVY snow up there now that will just soak up the rain and then supposed to re-freeze right after the rain. So I figure an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Used the truck as my step ladder and it worked pretty well. Funny how the daytime running lights look better at night than daytime. And there was some facebook hero lecturing about how LED bulbs in reflector housings are just as severe as murder...so I got a picture of the cutoff with my LEDs. These are 2-chip Sealight LED bulbs that are supposedly the same focal point as halogens...and they work pretty damn well.

·
Premium Member
2010 GMC SIerra All Terrain C.C. 4x4 5.3
15,799 Posts
The cutoff looks good on those. I have some Sealight's in mine as well and have been very happy with them. They put more light on the road down in front of me than my HID's did.

That is massive amounts of snow in your earlier post. Wow!

Just saw your post about the mid size mirrors as well. Maybe it is the angles in the pictures, but they sort of look angled up. Any way to mod them to be more level if that is the case? I like the mid size of them and really like how they have the flat mirrors and the convex as well. As always Eric, I thoroughly enjoy your creative mods.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Yes, they are angled up a little and I plan to fix it. The angle is actually pretty close to the stock mirrors (that also angle up a little) but it just looks wrong. They way I'm going to add the third stud will adjust it.

I've got some junk 03 regular mirrors to cut up and use as the trim to blend them to the truck. So basically I'm going to cut most of the "body trim" part of the Express mirrors off and use the truck "body trim" part and fiberglass them together.

But I'm actually going to throw the Express ones back on tmo and see how I like towing with them before I do all that work. I found a deal on a little Chevy to make into an offroad beater. I like offroading, but I'd feel bad if I tore my truck up. This thing I won't care about...so I can give it the full send. haha

·
Registered
66 Posts
Super neat truck and sweet little Blazer! Any plans for headers/cam for the big block?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I always modify everything, but I think I'm gonna mostly leave the 8.1 alone. The tune I put on it definitely did help, and I haven't had a time yet where I really needed more power. And 8.1 speed parts are stupid money. Heads, cam, headers would cost more than what I paid for the truck. If anything, I'd probably turbo it...best bang for the buck that way...and it wouldn't move the RPM range up. I like that it will lug at low RPM no problem. Rear mount turbo would be ideal from a packaging standpoint, but I worry about the road salt raising hell with it.

And since I've just been posting Blazer junk, here are a few newer pics of the truck. I cringe whenever I look at the salt on it. I just hope that Fluid Film is doing its job. We've really been hammered with snow pretty good this year.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
Finally got a good spare for the truck. I refinished another PYO wheel back when I painted the roof and kept an eye out on facebook for months to find a good used 265/75/16 Duratrac to match. Finally gave up and ordered one new and had it mounted.

Anybody watch Faster with Finnegan on Motortrend? Kinda reminded me of his mud drag Camaro from season 1. That thing was pretty awesome!

But now I'm set in case I have a tire failure while loaded and need an E rated spare.

·
Administrator
6,134 Posts
Nice work. The truck is looking great!

·
Administrator
6,134 Posts
That truck is a beast.

121 - 140 of 146 Posts