Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I already have installed Alpine SPR60/60c for door speakers. running a double din kenwood touchscreen receiver. Very soon I would like to adda sub/amp/wiring and I need help with the choices. Trying to spend less than $700 total with the speakers included in that, so I have $420 left to spend, ish.

I plan on using a single 10" sub in a prefabbed hopefully sealed box. Looking for the $200 neighborhood here so I can spend in the $200 neighborhood on the amp. A box will takeup about $100 so i'm left with $100ish for a single shallow 10.

For an amp i'd like to use a 5-channel. The alpine is too expensive so I have landed on the Rockford R600x5.

Is this a decent amp?
2 or 4 ohm? Does it matter really?
What gauge wiring?
Anything I am missing?

I play most if not all of my through spotify or lossless files via wired connection. The stock system was garbage, it sounds great now with the alpines but it doesn't get loud enough before distortion for me and I'd like to get all the bass driven to the sub so the speakers can do their jobs better.

Thanks all.

· Registered
477 Posts
Some people will talk ish.. but Wal mart, they sell sub/box 10s for a decent price, you can also get an amp there as well...

What I did, I shopped around.. I was looking for a mono amp and went to best buy as my final stop. Best buy/walmart/(insert major electronics store) will all price match. I like best buys warranty over others... so I got a $300 amp from a car audio shop, to 230 for the same amp at best buy, they ended up price matching walmart for $99

· Super Moderator, How-To Author, TOTM
5,240 Posts
That Rockford would be fine. The ohms are the RMS you can expect at that ohm load. Your speakers in doors are a 4 ohm load so amp power at 4 ohm is what to expect. The sub can be run at 2 or 4 depending on if you want a single 4 ohm coil sub at less RMS wattage or a dual coil sub wired to 2 ohms for more wattage. Either way the sub will perform best if RMS of sub matches Sub output RMS of amp. A single 4 ohm sub can do the job if in the proper box for that sub and powered correctly. I have used an 8w3v3-4 before with a 250 RMS amp and it was more than enough bass to shake the mirrors a little. I currently have a Sundown 8" dual coil sub wired at 2 ohms powered by a P300-1 Rockford amp in my wife's ride and it slams. Rockford amps are notorious for being under rated. They are CEA-2006 compliant which means they push the RMS they say they do. Not all amps are CEA compliant so keep that in mind when shopping. My P300-1 is 300 RMS rated, but bench tested at 426 watts RMS. My R500X1D is 500 RMS rated, but benched at 649 RMS. Still match the RMS ratings and when the gain is set should you go with the Rockford, you will end up with some head room and that will help sound quality. You will like that amp. Super deal for AB full range sound and digital sub output. Cost per watt is awesome. You will not regret these Prime amps. My 1200D is RMS at 1438 watts. Incredible for the price. Makes my Sundown 12" slam real good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.