Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I learned the trick of pressing in the button to see engine hours. My truck is a 2001 2500HD with the vortec 6.0. A family member bought in new in 01 so I know it's never been tampered with. It has 109,000 miles and the hour meter reads 4397.5! Seems like a lot. Then, my buddies truck is an 04 vortec 5.3. It has 140,000 miles and 2844.8 hours. That to me seems right. Average speed works out to 49 miles per hour. Here's the kicker. My grandma (haha I know, grandma) has a 06 2500HD with the vortec 6.0. It has 131,000 miles and only 935 hours! That can't be right! That places her average speed at 140 mph. My dad bought the truck brand new and then sold it to her years later, so again, I know it was never tampered with. How can this be? They have to be messed up. I think my friends 5.3 sounds right but the hours on my 01 are way high and the hours on my grandmas are way low! Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Mine has 157000 Km (98000 Miles) and 4892 hours. The hours include idling time, not just driving time, and mine is all city driving. Yours is probably correct.

A lot of 03-06 were susceptible to the hours resetting to 0 on their own.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Gotta remember people who don't park in a garage could let there truck run for sometimes 15-30 minutes each day before driving in the morning and after work . that adds up in that amount of years for just idling time alone. And city driving adds up quick too on hours and not much mileage

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If you guys don't mind....I would like to compile your hours/odo information onto a spreadsheet to compare everyone who volunteers. Would that be o.k?

·
Registered
2021 GMC Sierra 2500HD AT4
3,502 Posts
Pretty sure there is a thread that people have posted their mileage/hour. It should give you a good start. I'll try to get my exact and I'll post it later.

·
Registered
2009 Silverado LT 4WD
9,464 Posts
2009 Silverado
100,584 miles..
3520.8 hours...
I idle about 30 minutes or so every day on lunch hour 5 days a week. Except during mild spring/fall times.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
1,924 Posts
When I bought my truck about 1.5 years ago, it had 190k km and 340 engine hours. I guess they were just driving around at top speed along the autobahn in Germany, and then flew it over to Alberta to sell it...

·
Registered
16,624 Posts
Oilfracker: You have entirely too much time on your hands. hahaha. When I saw the spreadsheet, I immediatley realized it was you who was running this thread.

2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
48,778 miles
1179.9 engine hours

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
UPDATED!

HAHA. Yeah....I am working from home this week. I am a bit of a data freak and have been wanting to do this exact data spread for awhile now. I saw an opportunity here and jumped on it.

The number spread is greater than I had anticipated......and I figured that I would have been on the low end of the spectrum because I have idled my pickup quite a bit for various reasons. More data may reveal some unexpected trends however.

I look forward to adding more information from additional volunteers.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 88 Posts