Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Forum banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
16,585 Posts
There must be. Yours got reset at some point. Exactly how, I don't know.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
It's a common glitch with them resetting to 0 hours and there is no way to reset it unless you send it to a speedo shop. Even the dealer can't do them. :lol:

Unless it was a replacement cluster and they programmed the mileage and forgot the hours. :roll:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I might add something to this also; it would nearly be impossible to determine if hours are correct, without some external device. While some vehicles, may sound like they have abnormally high hours, this could be normal. I mean think about it, you live in a rural area and drive 20 minutes to work and 20 minutes back, no traffic. If I drove 20 minutes to work and 20 minutes back, it may take 3 hours total per day, due to sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
2004 Sierra 3500 6.0L, auto, extended cab, cab&chassis, upgraded to 4wd
909 Posts
the hours are still correct. the engine runs for 20 minutes in the first case and 3 hours in the second.

trying to interpret what those hours mean if you are buying it is completely different. you kind of can tell by comparing the hours with the mileage. unfortunately, these trucks [99-07 at least] are known to reset the engine hours for whatever reason [mine was at around 300 hours, 200k km, evidently they spent a couple weeks driving REALLY fast].

new trucks have a separate "idle hours" counter.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had an 06' 1500 with the 4.8 as my delivery truck for awhile for the local coal mines. Ended up driving it until it had about 295,000 miles, the hours were ridiculous bc I idled all day for 12 hours while delivering. One day the hours just reset itself. Had over 6,000 hours at the time, then back to 0 lol

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, I learned the trick of pressing in the button to see engine hours. My truck is a 2001 2500HD with the vortec 6.0. A family member bought in new in 01 so I know it's never been tampered with. It has 109,000 miles and the hour meter reads 4397.5! Seems like a lot. Then, my buddies truck is an 04 vortec 5.3. It has 140,000 miles and 2844.8 hours. That to me seems right. Average speed works out to 49 miles per hour. Here's the kicker. My grandma (haha I know, grandma) has a 06 2500HD with the vortec 6.0. It has 131,000 miles and only 935 hours! That can't be right! That places her average speed at 140 mph. My dad bought the truck brand new and then sold it to her years later, so again, I know it was never tampered with. How can this be? They have to be messed up. I think my friends 5.3 sounds right but the hours on my 01 are way high and the hours on my grandmas are way low! Thoughts?
123k 4464h on my 6.0

81 - 87 of 87 Posts