jQuery not supported.

2019 Silverado won't communicate with trailer's camera

2019 Silverado won't communicate with trailer's camera

Postby jstroke [OP] » Jun 06 2019, 12:40pm

I first posted the below topic on the gm-trucks forum in March and have had a lot of chatter about similar problems. I'm hoping folks here might have some insight. Here's my original post and a brief update.

I have a rear facing camera (not a backup camera) on my travel trailer. It communicates via bluetooth with a monitor plugged in to the truck's cigarette lighter receptacle. The camera is powered with the trailer's running lights and, thus, the trucks lights (headlights, fog lights or running lights) must be on. The system worked fine on my 2002 Silverado, my 2012 Enclave, and three other vehicles I've tested. But with the 2019 Silverado (mine and two others my dealer tested it with) I get a "no signal" message on the monitor 95% of the time or more. By that, I mean 15-30 seconds of no signal and then 2 seconds or less of perfect video. My Chevy service center can't figure it out, GM's tech support blew off my service manager once they heard the camera wasn't a GM product, my trailer manufacturer has no answer, and the camera/monitor maker's answer is that it clearly isn't their problem. The one thing they have in common is that none of them have heard of anyone else having this problem.

UPDATE: 2019 Sierra owners are expressing the same problem. It doesn't seem to matter the brand of camera (Furrion, ASA Voyageur, etc.). Others are reporting that the camera manufacturers now understand there is a problem and are "working on it" but with no solution in sight.

Thoughts? Similar experience?
Original Poster
jstroke
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2019
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 6.2L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2019 Silverado won't communicate with trailer's camera

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jun 06 2019, 4:24pm

I don't know much about bluetooth as to whether it uses certain frequencies or what. Is there anyway to use an alternate channel or frequency for the camera? Just a guess but I would suspect the camera bluetooth is trying to use the same bluetooth signal the truck is already using for your phone and the truck signal is taking priority possibly due to higher signal strength. Maybe the camera is trying to pair with your truck instead of the plug-in viewer? All just guesses...
'13 4x4 5.3 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Fire Red-Bought new. 2" level-Michelin 275/60/20-DiabLew-Webasto Moonroof-Borla Touring 32 dmp-Bedrug-Helwig-Rosen-Denali grille-Extang-Raptor-Boss plow-SL1 LED's. 20,300 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 Ext Cab
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby RW580 » Jun 06 2019, 5:59pm

Just to make sure I understand your issue, the camera cannot communicate with the camera's monitor when powered up inside the truck. The camera is not actually communicating with the truck itself.

Maybe there have been changes in glass composition or insulation/construction of the cab on the 2019. Try getting some sort of extension for the cigarette lighter plug and hold you monitor outside the truck and see if you get a consistent signal.
RW580
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 3
Year: 2016
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jstroke [OP] » Jun 06 2019, 7:37pm

You are more or less correct. The communication from the camera to the camera's monitor is intermittent (a rare signal but mostly "no signal"). However, the camera's monitor can be plugged in to a nearby vehicle and the problem still exists. The key is that the camera is connected to the truck via the 7-prong wiring harness. Here is a summary of 4 most recent answers (suppositions) from the gm-truck forum as to the cause (I will spare you the full 3 pages of comments):

1. "I have gone down the rabbit hole on this issue and talked to all levels of GMC even Echomaster support. The 2019 IOT Radio system in the SLT and Denali, was not developed by Echomaster and they had no input unlike other model years and even lower models of current year. GMC system they did internally is not compatible with wireless cameras for 2019. The TPMS system they decided to use is generating interference in the same wireless range as the cameras. The solution they used for Denali was to install RCA plugs in the back (admission of the issue) and expect people to run a wire to the back of the trailer to avoid the interference so they could keep promoting the trailer integration features. This is not a solution for something like an Airstream where running wires is not easy. They did not install the RCA plug in the other non Denali models with the IOT Radio so they have no towing camera option solution to hardwire it. The interference seems to be across the 2.5 to 5 Ghz range, so no aftermarket wireless system will work that uses that range (being all but wifi systems). Echomaster said to try and run an antenna from the rear camera to the front of the trailer to see if it will cut thought the TPMS interference. I just order a wifi based camera that connects to the phone, but this is not what was promoted by GMC! No integration. You can build the truck with the hard wired camera as an add-on online, but it does not really exist and does not ship on the non Denali trucks. Not a Happy customer! GMC will need to make a custom camera that can handshake with the bastardized version of bluetooth they implemented in the IOT radio system to avoid the interference. I doubt this will happen! Hopefully I saved people the 5+ hours of phone calls to arrive at that answer."

2. "I am having the same problem with my 2019 GMC Sierra 1500. I took the camera down and it works perfectly fine inside the truck next to the monitor. if I plug the camera back into the trailer and take the monitor to the back of the trailer to view it, it does not work. This is not a Bluetooth or wireless interference problem. I can actually hear a buzzing noise on the camera if it is plugged into the trailer power powered by the Sierra running lights. It seems to me that this is dirty power coming from the truck.. Not sure if it is has some kind of AC signal riding over it and not a clean 12 volt DC power or what, but this is definitely a power issue that is being provided by the truck. The camera uses so little power, I don't think it is a current draw issue."

2. "This is definitely not a wireless interference problem. It is a GM power supply problem. They have been getting dozens of reports of this problem with the Chevy/GMC 2019 trucks. From what they can determine, the "smart" power supply on the truck is not providing enough voltage or current, as many of you have suggested. Testing the voltage directly at the truck 7-way appears fine, but when you plug in your trailer, the "smart" feature kicks in and causes the problem. Furrion engineers are trying to find if there is a way to trick the truck into providing the proper amount of voltage and current. I am going to try some experiments of my own to see if I can come up with anything."

"The problem is the Silverado uses a PWM signal on the trailer light circuit and it interferes with the camera. Furrion is aware of the issue and supposedly working on a fix."
Original Poster
jstroke
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dmadigan » Sep 30 2019, 6:37pm

I am having the same issue with a Furrion camera system, the camera is mounted to the back of my RV. This all worked just fine with my 2016 Silverado, then stopped working with my new 2019 Silverado.

The camera does work when connected inside my truck via the Aux Power port (cigarette lighter) power cord along with the Receiver, but when I move the camera to the trailer and power it via the trucks 7-Pin trailer connection, it doesn't work. Moving the receiver close to the camera does not help either.

Does anyone know if GM (or anybody else) has a fix for this issue?
dmadigan
Extra Info: LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby jstroke [OP] » Sep 30 2019, 7:08pm

The three main camera manufacturers I know of; Furrion, Haloview and ASA Electronics (maker of Voyager); have all come up with fixes. However, I don't think they are yet available for consumers. If you go to my thread at gm-trucks.com you can read more:

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/ ... ar-camera/

I also suggest you contact Furrion customer service. They should know the status of their prototype fix. ASA (Voyager) sent me their prototype in-line filter and it has solved problem for me. The problem is with the Pulse Width Modulator (PWM) in the 2019 GM trucks' trailer monitoring systems.

Hope this helps; good luck.
Original Poster
jstroke
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chandranr » Jun 03 2020, 8:02pm

Voyager has a fix part number PWMCEC at Amazon form ASA. It plugs in between the camera and the wiring feed.
chandranr
Variant: AT4
Extra Info: 5.3 L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancherroorancher is online! » Jun 03 2020, 10:01pm

Just a shot in the dark, here, but you may want to try calling camera-source.com to see if they can help.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

100,302 miles 7/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancherroorancher is online!
Topics: 89
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Diesel-One » Jun 28 2020, 11:14pm

Do you have a 110 ac outlet in the truck? If you do maybe plug in a 12v adapter in that to power the camera. Or to just test this theory power the camera form a 12v adapter plugged into your house ac or from a 12v battery isolated from the truck. This maybe would isolate the problem if it's coming from noise over the trucks 12v system. If the problem is the power source then maybe one of these https://www.amazon.com/12-Volt-Noise-Fi ... B00XKV114K
Diesel-One
Year: 2020
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 1500 Duramax 3.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby chandranr » Jun 29 2020, 4:28am

HI, I have solved the problem with the backup camera and 2019 Chev and GMC. ASA, the manufacturer of the Voyager had a dongle to be wired between the camera and the rest of the wiring that disregards the cycling of the lights. I just installed it and the camera/monitor works fins
chandranr
Variant: AT4
Extra Info: 5.3 L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Next

Return to Towing/Trailers