jQuery not supported.

5.3 vs 6.2 and gear ratio's

Who like's what config

Re: 5.3 vs 6.2 and gear ratio's

Postby trucktoo [OP] » Dec 29 2010, 5:56pm

Right. All true. It's not a dollars issue. The issue is getting a configuration that works for my needs. So the decision I'm trying to make is, do I spend a few bucks and simply install the 3.73's in the 1500 Ext Cab 5.3 w/ 6 speed? Or leave the 3.42's as is?

In theory, the 3.73's on the 5.3 motor will provide better off the line performance, especially while towing anything, crisper throttle response at highway speeds, towing or not. Sure, 1 mpg less milage. But that's a trade off I can live with.

Disadvantages to the 2500 HD:

* the 6.0 only gets 10-12 mpg
* it is 1200 lbs heavier than the The Ext Cab 1500 and only makes 45 hp more. 45 hp doesn't push that 1200 lbs.
* ride quality is far less than the 1500

It seems the only reasons I can find, thus far, for GM not offering the 3.73 with the 5.3 is fleet gas milage requirements and an incentive to sell the 6.2. As a daily ride, barring slightly less gas milage it doesn't appear there would be any disadvantages with the 3.73's. It would be great if someone running the 3.73's w/ the 5.3 could chime in. Then again, if there's truly no one who has done it, then I suppose that's a clue that everyone is happy with the 5.3 w/ 6 speed and 3.42's. Maybe that's that's the final answer.

I do intend to ask the service manager at my dealer to call GM support and ask the same question. If I get any useful data back, I'll post.

Last side comment, the reason some of the ratings vary by a 100 or 200 lbs between various configurations is because of vehicle weight. Example, the crew cab is heavier than the extend cab. There are other examples. But that reflects in the numbers too.
Original Poster
trucktoo
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: VHO/Vortec Max
Extra Info: 5.3 4.10
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby aksierra11 » Dec 29 2010, 8:03pm

I read through most the posts but not all so sorry if I missed anything. I have owned a few vehicles with the 5.3 (2002 silverado and a 2007 Avalanche with AFM). Both great trucks and good motors. When I traded my Avalanche in and picked up the 2011 I was originally interested in the 6.0 but the salesman showed me a truck with the 6.2 and like you said any guy will agree we all want more HP. I do a little towing but mostly enjoy knowing I have that extra umph if I so choose to use it.

On a normal day of running on the HWY I am getting around 16MPG. This is in auto 4wheel and on winter fuel. Also only 3k miles on the motor so it is still going to improve. A few days ago I decided to take my little brother out for a snowmachining trip which we traveled about 100 miles one way to our destination. Pulling a 4 place trailer with two machines and a truck full of gear I was averaging 12MPG. I was pretty impressed with that, especially considering my driving habits. There was a few hills that people were doing 60 in a 65 and I wanted to see what the truck had so pulled out in the second lane and passed trucks also pulling trailers doing 75-85 without even trying. Actually the only time I noticed the trailer back there was when I would hit one of the many famous frost heaves up here and I could feel the tongue of the trailer bounce a little bit.

Quick pic of us before heading out.
63593_476515328741_775103741_5964928_3235781_n.jpg
aksierra11
Combustion on 8 pistons [L2]
Topics: 20
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 6.2L SLT
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby trucktoo [OP] » Dec 30 2010, 4:33pm

asksierra11,

Ya, everything I've heard is that the 6.2 totally kicks butt. I don't want to get the 2500 owners undies in a bunch (sorry in advance), but I've been told, in the scenario you describe above, the 1500 w/ Max Tow Package performs much better than the 2500 HD with 6.0. Simply, it's a heavier truck with less power. So it's easy for me to beleive it.

So as compared to your 5.3's pulling the same trailer? Huge difference? Small difference? So good you ain't never going back? :-) Do you have the Max Towing package w/ 3.73's or the base 6.2 w/ 3.42's?
Original Poster
trucktoo
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby enginebuilder4life » Dec 30 2010, 5:12pm

Why not a Colorado with the 5.3? Then you'll have all the acceleration potential you want.
Towing is not about a quarter mile drag race up a 7% grade. And if you want the same truck to be both your tow vehicle, and your empty hot rod, you're badly misguided. Even a 1500 is too heavy for that purpose.
Also, a 3.73 axle with a 4.03:1 first gear is too much gear to be any use when not towing. Ask the guy who has one. Because these engines are willing to rev, you can theoretically get 25 or 30 mph in first. But without traction control, what you would actually get is twin black stripes. Only a 20-something-year-old would want that.
I have test-driven a 5.3 / 6L80E / 3.08:1 new Silverado. Until you try a 6-speed auto, you truly cannot comprehend the advantage it is over the old 4 speeds. You no longer need deep axle ratios.
It's your money, true enough. But it's other people's lives. And if you're serious about towing large, heavy trailers safely, you NEED a 2500HD or 3500 for work, get yourself something else for play.
enginebuilder4life
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 5
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2006
Extra Info: modified WT1500
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby trucktoo [OP] » Dec 30 2010, 7:19pm

"3.73 axle with a 4.03:1 first gear is too much gear to be any use when not towing. Ask the guy who has one."

That's exactly what I'm trying to do by posting here. But no one seems to have that combination. With the data sheets what they are, it leaves nothing but questions.

When you say "towing large, heavy trailers safely" you need to quantify that statement. GM literature and GM reps, both at the Car Show and at my dealership, have communicated you can "safely" tow to the numbers posted in the data sheets. So that would be 9600 lbs in a 5.3 1500 w/ 3.42's and 10,400 with the Max package. In fact, at the car show, they felt you can actually go "well beyond the numbers" because the lawyers force them to build in a huge margin of SAFETY.

If GM not offering 3.73's w a 5.3 is driven by politics as opposed to a technical issue, then I'll happily spend the $1000 to have the 3.73's installed before I drive it off the lot!

"the same truck to be both your tow vehicle, and your empty hot rod, you're badly misguided."

Really? The engineers who decided to stuff a corvette motor into a truck are misguided? Seems to me, that was EXACTLY their goal! And they got it right! Hmmm, maybe you just convinced me I need the 6.2:-)
Original Poster
trucktoo
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby matheny9 » Dec 30 2010, 9:26pm

I have had the 2009 2500HD w6.0L and the 2010 1500 w5.3L / 3.08 and cooling pkg. Of course the 2500 had the horses. I tow a 7500lb camper about six trips a year and the 1500 has done super so far, plus gets 4mpg more the rest of the year when I drive back and forth to work. It gets about the same mpg towing as the 2500HD. My opinion is......if you do periodic towing below the rated lbs go with the 5.3 with either 3.08 or 3.42. If you tow a lot you better get the 2500.
matheny9
Topics: 54
Year: 2015
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EKinMN » Dec 30 2010, 10:07pm

trucktoo,
General rule of thumb in my life... "You'll Never Regret the Bigger One". It applies to vehicles, and a lot of other things. I love my 5.3 with the 3.42's, but based on what I am hearing, you are trying to convince yourself to do the 6.2. Don't settle. Go big, and have no regrets. Why not...it's a great truck.
Don't bother buying a new truck just to tear into it, and do major driveline mods. Get the 3.73 gears, with the added benefit of the monster engine.
2010 Sierra All-Terrain. Mods: Range AFM delete, 2.5" level, 1" rear block, 305/55R20 G2's on 20" XD Grenade wheels, soft toneau, and 35w 5000k HID's
EKinMN
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 147
Year: 2010
Extra Info: All Terrain Z71
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
SilveradoSierra Guru
Registered users

Postby aksierra11 » Dec 30 2010, 10:19pm

trucktoo wrote:asksierra11,

Ya, everything I've heard is that the 6.2 totally kicks butt. I don't want to get the 2500 owners undies in a bunch (sorry in advance), but I've been told, in the scenario you describe above, the 1500 w/ Max Tow Package performs much better than the 2500 HD with 6.0. Simply, it's a heavier truck with less power. So it's easy for me to beleive it.

So as compared to your 5.3's pulling the same trailer? Huge difference? Small difference? So good you ain't never going back? :-) Do you have the Max Towing package w/ 3.73's or the base 6.2 w/ 3.42's?

Going from a 6200 pound Avalanche with a 5.3 to this truck with the 6.2 is a night and day difference. The Avalanche was more than capable of towing the few trailers I do throughout the year but it is nothing compared to how the new truck handles it. The 2011 does amazing and the power is just unreal, I don't think I would want to drive a 5.3 again.

Here is the sticker from the truck, I have the 3.73's. As far as everyday driving around town it does just fine. With traction control 1st gear is not to low and still gets good gas millage. Now if I take off traction control I will turn the tires to butter till I hit about 45-50 MPH.
IMAG0074.jpg

Like I have mentioned before I don't need the 6.2L. I do very little towing but love HP and having it there if I so choose to use it.

EKinMN wrote:trucktoo,
General rule of thumb in my life... "You'll Never Regret the Bigger One". It applies to vehicles, and a lot of other things. I love my 5.3 with the 3.42's, but based on what I am hearing, you are trying to convince yourself to do the 6.2. Don't settle. Go big, and have no regrets. Why not...it's a great truck.
Don't bother buying a new truck just to tear into it, and do major driveline mods. Get the 3.73 gears, with the added benefit of the monster engine.

All this!!!!
aksierra11
Topics: 20
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 6.2L SLT
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby trucktoo [OP] » Jan 04 2011, 6:34pm

ok, NOW that's the sort of feedback I was looking for! Thank you!

matheny9, that's great stuff. I don't see myself pulling 7500 lbs. So it's good to hear that feedback. And like asksierra11, hey horsepower is fun. And sometimes it's about the fun and not necessarily the practicalities of it all. Now that the holidays are done, I'm going to go test ride.

My local dealership says they have every stock combination of motor and final drive and they'll let me drive them back to back. They know me and they know my current truck. The service manager is tells me two thing:

1) "I'm am 100% you'll be more than happy with the 5.3/3.42's. Don't even think about it"
2) "If you don't my spending the money for the upgrade and the additional gas dollars, you will absolutely love the 6.2. But don't test drive one. Otherwise you'll buy it!"

Ok then. Can't wait to test drive it:-) I'll report back soon.
Original Poster
trucktoo
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Towing/Trailers