jQuery not supported.

AAAAAAARGH!! Need more power Scotty!!

AAAAAAARGH!! Need more power Scotty!!

Postby Used2baFordDrvr [OP] » Oct 09 2019, 2:33pm

Hello All! Hopefully the pictures will enhance my poor use of the English language :D :D . Sooooo, I was finally able to put the Sierra 3500 to the test of pulling our 2008 Fleetwood Regal. The fifth wheel has a tare weight of 11,500lbs and fully dressed, with all of our "stuff" on board it's GVW was 13,500lbs. YES, I know that this is a lot over the trucks weight capacity rating so please try not to admonish me for trying. Previously the bride and I lived in the RV full time and pulled the trailer with an F350, 6.7L diesel. The F**D pulled the trailer easily even with it's 3:55 gear sets. I knew that the Sierra would be working hard to pull this trailer and I had hoped that the 4:11 gear sets would give it some advantage with respect to getting off the line as well as hill climbing.

On Saturday I hooked the unit up using our goo se neck Convert a Ball adapter and headed out for the highway. I had a belly full of 94 octane in the tank and we were in tow/haul mode. As expected, the truck pulled well in town and handled the weight of the RV with aplomb. Unfortunately, the dream came to reality on the highway. It took a long time to wind up to 65MPH and the fuel feed needed constant attention to maintain that speed. On the 50 mile round trip we rarely got out of third gear except for a few short miles where the transmission shifted itself into 4th gear3500.

I really love the 3500 and we have listed the RV for sale. We hope to sell it over the winter and if it has not been sold by spring we will (shudder to think) trade it in for something more in the neighbourhood of 8,000LBS UGVW. I just hate having to deal with a stealer! SIGH!!

Cheers and Thanks Boys and Girls!

Mike
Attachments
Side View.jpg
Hooked Up Drivers Side View.jpg
Original Poster
Used2baFordDrvr
Topics: 1
Year: 2006
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 3500 6.0L V8 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: AAAAAAARGH!! Need more power Scotty!!

Postby ferraiolo1 » Oct 09 2019, 2:44pm

I don’t get the point of this?

Are you buying a truck with a higher tow rating thus the “more power”

Or are you buying a smaller camper that the truck can handle?

Why get rid of the diesel for a lower tow rating Sierra?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 96
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby Used2baFordDrvr [OP] » Oct 09 2019, 3:09pm

Yes, it's a complicated story. Our lives took a severe blow when our daughter passed away unexpectedly last year. We sold the F350 thinking that we would not be able to return to our full time RV lifestyle s we had grandsons and an estate to care for and so many other issues to deal with. My bride needed a new car so we sold the F350 to have the $$ to buy her something decent. Does every post have to have a "point". Is it considered improper to just make a post to share an experience with the collective? Yes. I guess the point is that we will be selling the RV to acquire something more appropriate for the 3500 that we now have.

Cheers!

Mike
Original Poster
Used2baFordDrvr
Topics: 1
Year: 2006
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 3500 6.0L V8 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ferraiolo1 » Oct 09 2019, 3:15pm

Sorry for your loss.

It was just confusing as to what you were trying to get to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SierraHarley: So lets gets this straight.... your opinion is people shouldn't post their opinions and people should be able to do whatever they want although you're telling people that have a difference of opinion what they should do?
ferraiolo1
Topics: 96
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2017
Extra Info: Z71 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby esox07 » Oct 09 2019, 3:29pm

I always find it amazing what some of those HD trucks can pull when I see them going down the highway with a monstrous 5th wheel attached to them. It makes the truck look like a toy sometimes with that huge overhang extending 6 or 7 feet above the truck and the sides of the fifth wheel extending a foot out either side of the truck.
Good luck with whatever truck and camper combo that you come up with. I hope things work out well for you .
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 280
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Bradley21sanders » Oct 09 2019, 4:07pm

interesting story, I can only imagine the gas the truck drank and how long it too you to get up to speed given the max is 12000 (just a quick google search, so could vary)

The title may have given people the initial impression that you wanted to keep the truck you have and increase its power because the trailer was too large and heavy, or something along those lines.
Bradley21sanders
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 47
Year: 2009
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Towing/Trailers