jQuery not supported.

Anyone tow with a 4-6 inch lift? Real world input?

Re: Anyone tow with a 4-6 inch lift? Real world input?

Postby solfe84 [OP] » Oct 15 2020, 4:58am

CT2500HD wrote:Drivetrain stress. Big tires are already getting close to exceeding the load/torque capacity of your axle shafts, driveshaft joints, and differential on a 1500.
Tow with that, adds more stress.
Less of a concern with 2500HD & 3500HD, but bottom-line is that a lifted truck pushing much bigger than OE tires is not going to have the tow performance of how it came from the factory.
Handling is probably the biggest concern. Big tires and towing with the same OE brakes is not going to handle an unexpected stop as well.

Makes it seem like a less than great idea to tow with larger tires... I definitely don't want to push the limits too much. Have you known anyone who has "broken" their truck by towing while lifted?
Original Poster
solfe84
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Topics: 2
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LT
Extra Info: 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Oct 15 2020, 12:46pm

solfe84 wrote:
19trax95 wrote:The coilovers won't add any noticeable height. I had mine adjusted up slightly just to match the height of the rear with the add a leaf.

My truck was less than 1/4" higher in the rear when I was done with it.

At the lowest setting, the coilovers will be the same height as the strut spacers within like 1/4" or so.

As far as squat while towing, since I was so close to level, it didn't take a ton of weight to make the rear lower than the front. But it was never so bad that it looked ridiculous.

I never took pics of the truck while towing with the coilovers and add a leaf, but here is one with the strut spacers and just the 3" block with factory springs. The same machine and trailer with the add a leaf and coilovers, it sagged less and felt way better while driving.

As you can see, I had to load the machine backwards, which got me a lot of tongue weight. More than you'd normally want with a setup like that, but it was the only way with such a short trailer. Image

As far as the re gear goes, it will last as long as any factory setup, as long as good bearings are used, and it is setup properly

Trax, Thanks again. Awesome info!

Can I ask you why you ended up selling your truck?
I wanted more power and more capability. And to get the power I was after, I was looking at probably around $10k all said and done into my 17, to still have just a 1500 and be limited on towing and hauling.

I went to a 2500 duramax and got the power I wanted, with the capability to go much, much higher, and the chassis that can handle it.

I wouldn't worry at all about the newer 1500s with a 4" lift and 33s or 34s. As long as you aren't running super low offset wheels and overloading the crap out of it, you'll be just fine. 33s you'll be ok if you have 3.42 stock gearing. 34s is the tipping point where id definitely want to change gears.

But like I had planned, I was going to 4.10 for 33s anyway to get some more off the line and down low performance.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Oct 15 2020, 1:30pm

A new ring and pinion will not wear out any faster than what you currently have as long as it is setup properly. There are plenty of people out there with several hundred thousand miles on both OEM and aftermarket setups I am sure.

Having something break due to the truck being lifted is a grey area in my opinion. I think it would be difficult to say that you broke X part 100% due to being lifted.

I would not worry about the small lift and tires you are wanting to run. If you were trying to put a 12" lift and 40s on your 1/2 ton then we could be having a more in depth discussion of what you need to beef up to tow with it.
135,000 as of 9/25/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 57
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby solfe84 [OP] » Oct 16 2020, 4:22am

Thanks, Bradley.
Original Poster
solfe84
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby solfe84 [OP] » Oct 16 2020, 4:34am

19trax95 wrote:
I wouldn't worry at all about the newer 1500s with a 4" lift and 33s or 34s. As long as you aren't running super low offset wheels and overloading the crap out of it, you'll be just fine. 33s you'll be ok if you have 3.42 stock gearing. 34s is the tipping point where id definitely want to change gears.

But like I had planned, I was going to 4.10 for 33s anyway to get some more off the line and down low performance.

Sweet, thanks.

I would love to get a 2500... but with two kids under 3 and moving with the Navy, a new truck is out of the picture for now. I'd probably buy it and then find out I'm moving to Japan a year later, ha.

Do you recall your "normal" MPG on the highway? (70ish mph?) I know this is posted on some of the CST forums, but I'm constantly seeing different MPG numbers. Obviously, a lot depends on how you drive, hills, etc...
Original Poster
solfe84
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Oct 16 2020, 1:43pm

Whatever traxx got mpg wise probably figure 1-2 mpg drop with the 4.10s. I would guess 14-16mpg
135,000 as of 9/25/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 57
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Oct 16 2020, 3:23pm

As long as I stayed under 70mph, I got around 19mpg on the highway. If I went father than 70mph, it really started to drop off.

Around town I was usually in the neighborhood of 14mpg depending how hard I was driving.

That was with the setup pictured, 5.3, 6 speed and 3.42 gears.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 136
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby andrewculp16 » Yesterday, 1:38pm

I tow quite often with my 4.5” BDS kit and 295 tires. Obviously you’ll lose some power, braking, etc. My 03 1500 is not known for great stopping power but I’ve pulled a tandem axle 16ft. trailer loaded with zero turn mowers and it did not struggle too bad. Would hav
CDE87636-61B7-4A1D-8F2B-EC23A6A49A51.jpeg
e done even better if I had a brake controller. Overall, I don’t think your choice of lift and tires will negatively effect your town into ability too bad in my opinion.
2003 Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3
4.5” BDS Suspension lift, Glide Ride leaf springs
Fox 2.0 shocks
18x9 +1mm Fuel T***n
295/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers
03 GMC Ranch Hand brush guard
Cold air intake
Diablo Predator II
Cherry Bomb Glasspack, 4” tips
andrewculp16
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 2 cylinders [L1]