jQuery not supported.

Fudge factor in GVWR? Yes or no and how much?

Looking for any answers or suggestions regarding GVWR questions.

Re: Fudge factor in GVWR? Yes or no and how much?

Postby letitsnow » Feb 10 2020, 3:55am

I'm am not saying this makes it right, but if I had to guess, i'd guess that over 50% of 1/2 tons pulling campers (on a summer weekend) are over their limit.
letitsnow
Firing on 1 cylinder [L1]
Year: 2006
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tobyhd02 » Feb 10 2020, 4:16am

I see it all the time out here in San Diego, head to the desert for a weekend and you will see 1500's and 2500's vastly over weight with all the stuff they tow. I always worry about them not being able to stop.
Current: 2019 2500 HD Duramax
Gone but not forgotten:
2011 Z71 Silverado Crew Cab 85,000
2002 Z71 Silverado Extra Cab 189,000 miles
1998 Z71 Silverado Step side 187,000 miles
1978 GMC Sierra 4x4 regular cab short bed

#TRUMP2020, #HEISYOURPRESIDENT
tobyhd02
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 36
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2019
Extra Info: 2500 LTZ Duramax Z71
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Feb 10 2020, 5:04am

Yep, no fudge factor if you are caught, well maybe less than a pound over and you are okay because scales weigh in whole pounds.

The solution is pretty easy though. Install a weight distributing hitch. Then weigh again, front axle, whole truck and both. If you are still over with the WD hitch, then redistribute has the weight you are over by moving gear to the rear of the trailer.
Walkers
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 50
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Feb 10 2020, 5:13am

Here is a video showing what happens to the weight when using a WD hitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg
Walkers
Topics: 50
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MacQ » Feb 10 2020, 5:29am

Walkers wrote:Here is a video showing what happens to the weight when using a WD hitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZu39pQ8Gg

Good video!
MacQ
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby letitsnow » Feb 10 2020, 3:23pm

Again - this doesn't make it right, but when I went into a well known camper dealership to buy a new camper, I knew exactly what I wanted. What weight I was willing to pull and put on the hitch. I had it figured out well before going into the place...

When the salesman looked at my new 2013 f150 with the 5.0 v8/6 speed auto, he immediately tried selling me a camper that was way too heavy. He started telling me how my truck was rated to pull a million pounds etc... He had no real idea. I can see why people buy/pull campers that are way too big.
letitsnow
Year: 2006
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby elkhornsun » Mar 20 2020, 11:03pm

The value for the GVWR is calculated based on how the truck left the factory. When checking out new trucks on dealers' lots I would find 3500 trucks with a lower rating than 2500 trucks and it was a result of the wheels and tires put on the trucks. It comes down to determining what is the gating factor for your truck.

If the rear axle is rated for XXXX lbs then that is one limitation. Another is the strength of the frame of the truck. Another is the load capacity of the springs. A fourth is the wheels and the tires on the truck.

My 2500HD came from the factory with a GVWR of 11,000 lbs and a payload capacity of 2800 lbs and the limiting factors were the leaf springs and the tires. I added SuperSprings for an additional 1400 lbs of load capacity and upgrade the tires to gain 1100 more lbs of capacity at the rear axle.

The GCWR is a different matter entirely as it is based on the stress that the truck frame and its drivetrain and the engine can take. So I can increase the payload but not the total payload (with passengers) and total tow load capacity of the truck.
elkhornsun
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2011
Extra Info: 2500HD 4WD Duramax
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby MacQ » Mar 21 2020, 12:05am

elkhornsun wrote:The value for the GVWR is calculated based on how the truck left the factory. When checking out new trucks on dealers' lots I would find 3500 trucks with a lower rating than 2500 trucks and it was a result of the wheels and tires put on the trucks. It comes down to determining what is the gating factor for your truck.

The gating factor? A gating factor refers to the essential task within a series of interdependent tasks which has the ability to delay the whole project.

When it comes to towing or loading a truck it's plain and simple, you cannot (legally) exceed the following:

The GVWR of the truck
The GAWR of the front axle
The GAWR of the rear axle
The GCWR of the truck and trailer (both loaded)[/list][/list][/list]

Should one cause an accident while overweight, one could be charged with gross negligence, deliberate indifference, etc.
MacQ
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2001
Extra Info: 5.3L 4x4 Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Towing/Trailers