jQuery not supported.

Mounting a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller

Mounting a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller

Postby RRS011Silverado [OP] » Aug 23 2015, 1:50am

I'm a fairly new member and owner of a 2011 5.3L Silverado. The Silverado has the All-Star addition trailering package which includes everything needed to get it upto the 15k GCWR. The thing that I don't understand why someone would not have ordered this with the integrated brake controller. Anyway, after searching around here about adding the integrated controller and finding it wasn't possible, had me a little bummed. I really didn't like the idea using an aftermarket controller because they usually aren't mounted in a place that's easily accessible, looks good, or it get's in the way of your knees. Well I bought the Tekonsha P-3 and just mounted it today. I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the way it came out, so I wanted to share this with those that may be adding a controller anytime soon. I don't think the mounting place I used is new, I thought I read someone else had don't it, but I'm including pictures if your interested. I removed my ashtray and mounted it in the that cavity, it's easy to reach the manual brake lever, and it's recessed enough where it won't stick out from the dash and hit your knee. It anyone needs any more details, just let me know. It wasn't the easiest install because it's hard to get your fingers in to get screws in, but I wanted it tight as possible to dash.

Original Poster
RRS011Silverado
Firing on 3 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT Crew 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Mounting a Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller

Postby gwolfe » Aug 24 2015, 5:42pm

Looks good, thats the same place I mounted mine.
gwolfe
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 EC Z-71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby WaterBoy1 » Aug 25 2015, 1:56pm

Looks good, and you will definitely LOVE the P3!
2013 Silverado - Gone

2014 ___ new rig

2013 Sierra 1500 - Wife's ride
WaterBoy1
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 16
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: LT Z71 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
TOTM Winner
Registered users

Postby The Bow-tie Dude » Nov 01 2015, 1:26am

That looks fantastic I have been reading about getting the factory trailer brake controller and is sounds like a no go (Bummer :( ) how ever I have been looking for a location for an aftermarket one and love where yours is. I wanted to see if you had any other pics. of how you mounted it would be great.
The Bow-tie Dude
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l V8 LMG
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby The Bow-tie Dude » Nov 01 2015, 1:40am

never mind got it figured out.
The Bow-tie Dude
Topics: 28
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Extra Info: 1500 5.3l V8 LMG
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Sbq_silverado2013 » Dec 07 2020, 2:11am

Currently trying to do this on my 2013 Silverado. Any tips on how you got the screws in? Not an easy task at all. Thanks!
Sbq_silverado2013
Variant: LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RRS011Silverado [OP] » Dec 07 2020, 3:05pm

I don't have my Silverado any more to look at, but I attached some pictures that may help. I don't remember the details except it was difficult to get screws in. Looking at pictures, you probably need a magnetic screw driver (or other electrical screwdrivers that hold screws) since it's looks like you can't get your fingers in easily. One trick if you don't have screwdrivers that hold screws is to use a thick grease like silicon on the screw head and tip to hold. Or try to hold screw with tweezers after using painters tape to hold bracket in place so you don't need 3 hands. Hope this helps.

100_2267.JPG
Finished Install with brake controller

100_2268.JPG

100_2269.JPG

20170316_070918.jpg
Original Poster
RRS011Silverado
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT Crew 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Towing/Trailers