jQuery not supported.

Receiver mounted accessories

what to get?

Receiver mounted accessories

Postby philmonger [OP] » Oct 25 2016, 11:14pm

So...I pulled the trigger on a front receiver. I am gonna get a snowsport plow for it, but am also considering a receiver mounted winch. I think it would be kinda cool to be able to put it on the front or the back as required. Questions is, has anyone done this? What do you do for power (especially for the rear? ) Any recommended brands? Thanks in advance!
Original Poster
philmonger
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 7 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 13
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: WT 4x4 4.3L 8 ft bed
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Receiver mounted accessories

Postby idrivea2005sierra » Dec 18 2016, 4:38am

Slightly older post but i'll give a few tidbits for the winch. You're going to want what are called Anderson SB Connectors. Get 3 of them. Install one on the winch, one at the front bumper, and one in the rear (they can be hard mounted). 4 Gauge wire should be sufficient for the power draw of the winch. You'll want to run that to the front Anderson and the rear Anderson.

Put the winch in, connect the Anderson, viola you have a winch.

If you've ever had a jump from an AAA truck these are the connectors they have on their jumper cables so they don't have to open the hood to connect the battery. You may want to get 4 connectors and buy a set of jump cables as well, keep them in the cab for an emergency jump.
~Spencer
2005 Victory Red GMC Sierra, 5.3, Z71, CCSB
2002 Volkswagen Golf GLS 2.0, it's not stock
1991 Avanti Convertible, weekend cruiser and project OEM+ restoration
1961 Willys CJ5, currently undergoing chassis off OEM+ restoration
idrivea2005sierra
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 6 pistons [L2]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2005
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 Z71 CCSB
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Jasen » Dec 18 2016, 4:40am

idrivea2005sierra wrote:Slightly older post but i'll give a few tidbits for the winch. You're going to want what are called Anderson SB Connectors. Get 3 of them. Install one on the winch, one at the front bumper, and one in the rear (they can be hard mounted). 4 Gauge wire should be sufficient for the power draw of the winch. You'll want to run that to the front Anderson and the rear Anderson.

Put the winch in, connect the Anderson, viola you have a winch.

If you've ever had a jump from an AAA truck these are the connectors they have on their jumper cables so they don't have to open the hood to connect the battery. You may want to get 4 connectors and buy a set of jump cables as well, keep them in the cab for an emergency jump.

Seen a few 4x4ers do exactly this.

I'll be done when I'm finished, if that's not fast enough, take a number!

Jasen's Fire Red 06 Sierra Z71 project
Jasen
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 49
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2006
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: Z71 4x L33
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby wildchevy » Dec 18 2016, 6:11am

wildchevy
Topics: 40
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 1960
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Copperhead » Jan 14 2017, 6:47am

Regarding the snow sport plow on the front, I had a bracket fabricated by a local shop and put a winch on it to raise and lower the snowsport plow for those times when I would like to have it up to maneuver.

IMG_5382.jpg
Freedom is not having the choice to do what you want, but the choice to do what you ought.
Copperhead
Topics: 38
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD LT Z71 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Towing/Trailers