jQuery not supported.

Tow wiring without tow package?

Re: Tow wiring without tow package?

Postby krausee » Apr 12 2015, 3:24am

big_dawg74 wrote:Hey folks, I found the plug to the left of the license plate, but can't figure out how to get the cover off. I don't want to break anything...how do ya'll remove it?

that entire cover will come off, 1/2 turn counterclockwise. could be a plastic tab on the back? :shock: it's easy to remove.

I installed this HOPKINS 7 pin and 4 pin combo in it's place. drill 4 screw/bolt holes. Piece of cake
Install this into the hole.. take off the metal bracket. OK? it installs into the bumper, not hanging below

247017 232449

that second image... it's a 7 pin connection tester. it'll prove that all wires are hookd up correctly. you need this, 12$$ on amazon
"
Beer if proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. " Benjamin Franklin
krausee
Combustion on 1 piston [L2]
Topics: 10
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2011
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: WT REG CAB SB V6 2WD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby big_dawg74 » Apr 12 2015, 7:27pm

Krausee, thanks, I got it. That Hopkins combo is a winner. Thank you!
2011 ECSB 4x4 5.3 V8
big_dawg74
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby krausee » Apr 13 2015, 2:35am

the best part of the Hopkins design is having a 4 pin flat and 7 pin round connect... Enjoy
"
krausee
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ofblong » Apr 14 2015, 5:44am

krausee wrote:
big_dawg74 wrote:Hey folks, I found the plug to the left of the license plate, but can't figure out how to get the cover off. I don't want to break anything...how do ya'll remove it?

that entire cover will come off, 1/2 turn counterclockwise. could be a plastic tab on the back? :shock: it's easy to remove.

I installed this HOPKINS 7 pin and 4 pin combo in it's place. drill 4 screw/bolt holes. Piece of cake
Install this into the hole.. take off the metal bracket. OK? it installs into the bumper, not hanging below

247017 232449

that second image... it's a 7 pin connection tester. it'll prove that all wires are hookd up correctly. you need this, 12$$ on amazon

Could of saved $12 and just stopped at autozone to borrow theirs.
ofblong
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 27
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby krausee » Apr 14 2015, 4:25pm

well.. borrow vs buy? I've hauled trailers for the past 30 years. The biggest problem with trailers has to do with trailer lights... they aren't very reliable. If you have to diagnose trailer lights some cold morning this tool will help prove the vehicle end of things is correct. Chasing a poor electrical ground or corrosion in a socket are easier after knowing the vehicle end is OK. $12 is cheap.
"
krausee
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ofblong » Apr 17 2015, 4:45am

krausee wrote:well.. borrow vs buy? I've hauled trailers for the past 30 years. The biggest problem with trailers has to do with trailer lights... they aren't very reliable. If you have to diagnose trailer lights some cold morning this tool will help prove the vehicle end of things is correct. Chasing a poor electrical ground or corrosion in a socket are easier after knowing the vehicle end is OK. $12 is cheap.

Except you stated the truck wiring not trailer wiring. Most people tow 1 trailer so yes $12 is a waste of money for something like this when I can stop at the local autozone less than a mile away (costing me less than $1 in gas). Also being as I am an electrician I already have a $500 electrical meter that I was required to have (Industrial electrician) so I just use that :D. Now the origional poster might just need to stop and a local autozone for his truck wiring.

I also have a friend who has towed trailers for over 40 years and even he wouldnt buy one of these. Then again he is an auto mechanic and has other tools plus the only lights he cares about is the brake lights and turn signal lights.
ofblong
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby krausee » Apr 17 2015, 5:16am

you just love to friggin argue... screw it.. I've had it with asses like you here.
"
krausee
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby big_dawg74 » Apr 17 2015, 1:20pm

ofblong wrote:
Most people tow 1 trailer so yes $12 is a waste of money for something like this when I can stop at the local autozone less than a mile away (costing me less than $1 in gas). Also being as I am an electrician I already have a $500 electrical meter that I was required to have (Industrial electrician) so I just use that.

So you have a $500 meter and you are busting someones cajones for using a $12 tool? Dude..... :roll:
2011 ECSB 4x4 5.3 V8
big_dawg74
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Variant: All Terrain
Extra Info: 1500 5.3L V8 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ofblong » Apr 20 2015, 6:18am

big_dawg74 wrote:
ofblong wrote:
Most people tow 1 trailer so yes $12 is a waste of money for something like this when I can stop at the local autozone less than a mile away (costing me less than $1 in gas). Also being as I am an electrician I already have a $500 electrical meter that I was required to have (Industrial electrician) so I just use that.

So you have a $500 meter and you are busting someones cajones for using a $12 tool? Dude..... :roll:

Yes I have a $500 meter that I didnt pay for. If I didnt have it I still wouldnt buy a $12 tool unless I had 20 trailers that I was towing at any one time.
ofblong
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Towing/Trailers