jQuery not supported.

Trailer Lights

Trailer Lights Flicker

Trailer Lights

Postby wschamp [OP] » Feb 12 2020, 1:49pm

I have a 2019 LTZ Z71. When the vehicle is parked and motor off the trailer lights flicker every 10 seconds. I've seen the same thing on a different 2019 Silverado. Is this flicker by design or is this a malfunction?
Original Poster
wschamp
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2019
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Trailer Lights

Postby roorancherroorancher is online! » Feb 12 2020, 1:54pm

For how long do they flicker? How brightly do they flicker?

Are you using the 7 pin connector, and perhaps your trailer lights are wired incorrectly and you're getting stray voltage from the constant 12V pin?

Definitely not by design.

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

105,200 miles 9/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancherroorancher is online!
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 94
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby wschamp [OP] » Feb 13 2020, 3:45am

No, not using the 7 pin connector. The lights ficker for like a milisecond. It did the same thing after I rewired the trailer. What makes me think it's by the design is I saw another trailer doing the same thing. That owner had the same question about the flicker as I did. I am not using the ball as the ground. The ground wire is wired connected at the plug to the trailer.
Original Poster
wschamp
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2019
Extra Info: LTZ Z71
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby hatzie » Feb 13 2020, 4:05am

That's electrons going where they aren't supposed to.
Whether it's a BCM malfunction or a problem in the trailer wiring???

I have read about GM vehicles, specifically the Gen 9 Impala, having dead battery issues after installing LED lamps in the tails and backup lamp positions.
The tails and reverse lamps shouldn't be powered at all after the vehicle is shut down and the lamp switch is set to OFF. Apparently the BCM has a bug that sends a test current to the bulbs and if it doesn't like what it sees it will not go to sleep and it keeps other modules awake too.
Intern engineer at work and the actual engineers didn't catch the bug.
Not sure how many vehicles firmware this fool inserted that bug into but they're out there.

I'd unplug the trailer lamps or put a deadman in the trailer wiring so the trailer lamps die with the ignition.
2005 Silverado 2500HD 6.0, 4L80E, NV263, AAM 10.5", 4.10:1, LTX265/70R17
"Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson
Haes 2005 Silverado LS 2500HD
hatzie
Combustion on 4 pistons [L2]
Topics: 10
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 2500 HD
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » Feb 13 2020, 6:02am

Ceramic/Undercoat-Leer-BedRug-Morimoto-Winjet-Lamin X-Kenwood-Dark Audio-Rockville-Focal-Rockford-Sundown-Lewtune-Llumar-Airaid-TeamRXP-Diode Dynamics-Halo-DynoMax-Carven-PowerStop-Toyo-Moto Metal-American Racing-WeatherTech-AMP-Fumoto-Moog-Amsoil-Mobil1
Rambodog's 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 Build
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 63
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby hatzie » Feb 13 2020, 3:37pm

Rambodog wrote:Or.......
https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11176

Why does it need to determine there's a trailer connected when the key is off ? :roll:
The key is off. The job of the electronic modules in the truck are that they go to sleep when I take out the key and stop sucking on the battery.

I wonder if it's possible to disable this anti-theft feature? Trailer theft alarm is the only useful thing I can think of that this does.
"Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." Jeremy Clarkson
hatzie
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adam86107 » Feb 13 2020, 4:17pm

Mine does that also.
adam86107
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 77
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Extra Info: RST 5spd manual 4.8L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Rambodog » Feb 13 2020, 5:19pm

hatzie wrote:
Rambodog wrote:Or.......
https://gm-techlink.com/?p=11176

I wonder if it's possible to disable this anti-theft feature? Trailer theft alarm is the only useful thing I can think of that this does.

Did you read the link I attached? This is quoted from that link.

"With a trailer connected and the ignition off, the Trailer Lighting Control Module will periodically pulse the lighting circuits of the trailer to verify it is still connected. Depending on the configuration of the trailer lights, the trailer lights may periodically flash as part of the trailer theft deterrent function. These flashes may be more visible in dark ambient light environments and correspond to when the Trailer Lighting Control Module pulses the lighting circuits to ensure the trailer is still connected. The flashing or flickering lights is a normal condition".

"Trailer disconnection detection by the Trailer Lighting Control Module requires that a trailer light circuit must be activated after the trailer is disconnected. If a trailer is disconnected while no trailer lights are active, the trailer will continue to be reported as connected by the trailering app. Always have the vehicle lights on when disconnecting the trailer to ensure the system properly detects the disconnection".

Unplug the trailer with the lights on per directions and re plug it back in when you drive again seems to be the best way around it.
Ceramic/Undercoat-Leer-BedRug-Morimoto-Winjet-Lamin X-Kenwood-Dark Audio-Rockville-Focal-Rockford-Sundown-Lewtune-Llumar-Airaid-TeamRXP-Diode Dynamics-Halo-DynoMax-Carven-PowerStop-Toyo-Moto Metal-American Racing-WeatherTech-AMP-Fumoto-Moog-Amsoil-Mobil1
Rambodog's 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3 Build
Rambodog
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 63
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2014
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT 5.3 4X4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby hatzie » Feb 14 2020, 9:35pm

Rambodog wrote:Did you read the link I attached? This is quoted from that link.

"With a trailer connected and the ignition off, the Trailer Lighting Control Module will periodically pulse the lighting circuits of the trailer to verify it is still connected. Depending on the configuration of the trailer lights, the trailer lights may periodically flash as part of the trailer theft deterrent function. These flashes may be more visible in dark ambient light environments and correspond to when the Trailer Lighting Control Module pulses the lighting circuits to ensure the trailer is still connected. The flashing or flickering lights is a normal condition".

"Trailer disconnection detection by the Trailer Lighting Control Module requires that a trailer light circuit must be activated after the trailer is disconnected. If a trailer is disconnected while no trailer lights are active, the trailer will continue to be reported as connected by the trailering app. Always have the vehicle lights on when disconnecting the trailer to ensure the system properly detects the disconnection".

Unplug the trailer with the lights on per directions and re plug it back in when you drive again seems to be the best way around it.

Yes I did read the link.

It's more than annoying that they've declared this bug is a desirable feature. You should be able to turn off the trailer theft deterrent if you want to.
Right now the GM answer is apply this workaround "Unplug the trailer with the lights and ignition on and plug it back in when you drive again."
Basically flipping us the bird... You bought it now live with it. We're not going to fix this because we say it's desirable.
hatzie
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Towing/Trailers