jQuery not supported.

01 6.0 not locking fixed?

01 6.0 not locking fixed?

Postby Kyle1193 [OP] » Jul 22 2020, 1:04am

4l80e, torque converter was not locking for 3-5000 miles. When going up a grade rpms would rise but speed would fall. My assumption was the clutch in the TC was no longer working. Trans ran 200-210 degrees normally. After replacing fan belt, I forgot to plug MAF back in which caused trans to lock in, but shifted rather hard.
Noticed Mass airflow sensor and plugged back in.
Non locking returned.
Installed old MAF( replaced prior with new oem due to separate troubleshooting issue) and all is well.
What gives?
Can these really be related?
Original Poster
Kyle1193
Topics: 1
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 01 6.0 not locking fixed?

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 25 2020, 10:50am

I do not know much about a mass air flow sensor other than it measures air flow and needs to be clean and have a clean unobstructed air filter for it to work properly. it is also common knowledge to never ever touch any thing inside the MAF.
What I did for you is searched the internet and found a discussion where a person whom responded to another forum mentioning that his MAF acted the same way as yours.
So on the surface ( with no credible proof other than a single post ) it seems it may be possible the MAF can possibly affect the TC lockup.)
what causes this and why sorry no clue here just trying to help with what I found online for you.
Hopefully some of our geeked out computer nerds can chime in a school us.
https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/ ... -problems/

To Save you from having to read the entire thread here is a quote from badass69 a banned member of the forum take it for what it is a random post online

Yeah but locking and unlocking at random is not normal. The most annoying thing I found was the wide open throttle lockup in 2nd gear that the 80E's do.... dumb. So neither of mine have that ability anymore lol.

I was convinced my 04's transmission was toast. My convertor would lock and unlock at random.... wouldn't unlock properly etc. Then the trans itself shifted really hard ( line pressure was maxing), hang up in gears etc... I had no codes, nothing that really stood out. So because I have parts I swapped the 3 things one at a time enginewise I thought it could be, being my throttle body ( so I got a known good tps), map sensor and MAF sensor. Low and behold it was my MAF... Now I have scanning software and I had very odd fuel trims at idle, random knock retard at WOT etc. The truck ran well enough and never did anything weird that without seeing the data no one would have noticed the engine issues ever.

It's worth a look anyhow. I have had a check engine light or anything either, and if the OP has parts to swap since you tried the throttle body give the mass airflow and map sensors a try.
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jul 25 2020, 2:42pm

The Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF) is one of the key components of an electronic fuel injection system

Part of this is from a service bulletin on MAF problems caused by oiled air filter contamination so being unplugged can cause similar issues.

Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES)

Dirty or contaminated MAF sensor can cause these issues;

1. Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On

2. Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

3. Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range.

The Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

My_Fleet
2017 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L Ultimate
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 238
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Vendors
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 25 2020, 3:23pm

So the plot thickens as evidence piles up substantiated by a OEM TSB what could be better? Thanks Mike.
I say that MAF is guilty as charged and I here by sentence the new OEM GM part to a good cleaning and refit to see if it starts to behave.
Sorry I have a really sore back and neck today and it is making me stupid silly or just stupid. :lol:
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Kyle1193 [OP] » Jul 25 2020, 5:36pm

Haha thanks guys! I will try that since this has my curiosity now
Original Poster
Kyle1193
Topics: 1
Year: 2001
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 6.0
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 25 2020, 5:45pm

Good luck I hope you get it figured out, let us know if cleaning the MAF works, I only suggested cleaning it since it was run without being plugged in. If I remember correctly it has a heater circuit that help keep these things clean but unplugged that circuit cannot work obviously.
EaOutlaw1969
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain