jQuery not supported.

2006 2500HD transmission slip problem

2006 2500HD transmission slip problem

Postby erikwillke [OP] » May 30 2021, 3:58pm

I've searched but cannot find any posts with my exact problem.
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
2wd, 4.10 rear end

Short version: Transmission shifts fine until I break hard, then hard shifts through all gears. continues until I turn off the truck. After restart shifts fine again.

Long version: I had a leak in the rear seal where the drive shaft goes into the transmission (2WD). It was a very, very small leak so I let it go for a while. My roller bearing went out violently one day and I replaced it, not thinking about the rear seal. Three days later it started slipping pretty badly, checked the fluid and it was very, very low. checked under the truck and noticed the rear seal was toast. I replaced the seal and fluid and everything was fine until I had to break harder than normal when someone cut me off at a light. That's when it started shifting very hard into 2nd, slipped lightly into 3rd, and between light and hard into 4th.

Here's the part that I don't understand. If I turn off the truck for 10-20 seconds and restart it, it shifts fine until I come to a harder stop than normal, then it starts slipping again. It's gotten to the point that now I have to break way early and gently or it will happen, but again, if I turn off the truck and back on again it's fine.

My only codes are for slip. I've tried unplugging the battery for 30 minutes to reset the PCM. If it were constant I would think it was mechanical like the TPS or a filter or pump but the resetting thing is throwing me off.

Thank you in advance.
Original Poster
erikwillke
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 1998
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: v6 extended cab
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: 2006 2500HD transmission slip problem

Postby erikwillke [OP] » Jun 08 2021, 4:27am

bump
Original Poster
erikwillke
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Jun 08 2021, 3:21pm

How many miles are on it? Have you ever changed the fluid and filter?
'13 4x4 LC9 6L80 3.42 G80 Z60 Z82 Bght new, 2" level, Michelin Dfndr LTX 275/60/20, DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla, Bedrug, Helwig, Rosen, Extang, Stone Liner, Raptor, Boss plow, SL1 LED 21,980 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 25
Year: 2013
Variant: SLE
Extra Info: 1500 4x4 EC 5.3
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby i82much » Jun 08 2021, 3:33pm

i wonder if maybe a bad check valve or booster is giving a funny signal to the transmission controller. but i dont even know if that truck has vacuum assist brakes or whether the transmission controller gets a vacuum signal as input.
i82much
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 2500HD 6.0 CCSB WT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby erikwillke [OP] » Jun 09 2021, 3:56am

GBSierraSLE wrote:How many miles are on it? Have you ever changed the fluid and filter?

I bought it used at 100k. It has 210k now. Fluid was topped off from the leak but not replaced while I had it. Same with filter.
Original Poster
erikwillke
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby erikwillke [OP] » Jun 09 2021, 3:56am

i82much wrote:i wonder if maybe a bad check valve or booster is giving a funny signal to the transmission controller. but i dont even know if that truck has vacuum assist brakes or whether the transmission controller gets a vacuum signal as input.

I'll try to find that out.
Original Poster
erikwillke
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Walkers » Jun 09 2021, 3:25pm

erikwillke wrote:
GBSierraSLE wrote:How many miles are on it? Have you ever changed the fluid and filter?

I bought it used at 100k. It has 210k now. Fluid was topped off from the leak but not replaced while I had it. Same with filter.

In that case you are overdue for a rebuild. O-rings get really hard and don’t seal up as well. The sudden braking likely causes pressures to go up and pushes through a seal. It is not likely anything that you are going to fix without tearing it down. The nice thing is that the tranny is giving you advanced notice of failure. Take it in now before the TCC grenades and takes out the pump, as that is another $500 for machine work.
Walkers
Topics: 77
Years of membership: 3 years of membership3 years of membership3 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby erikwillke [OP] » Jun 10 2021, 3:14am

thank you
Original Poster
erikwillke
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain