jQuery not supported.

6l80 Acting weird

6l80 Acting weird

Postby Grease&gravel [OP] » Dec 04 2019, 2:39am

Hello all. I just bought my first Chevy. I've never been a loyalist to any make, I've just always had Fords. I saw this truck and really liked it.

Anyway my truck has been doing some strange things.

2012 Silverado 1500 WT 5.3 liter 4x4

The 1st thing I've noticed is every time I start the truck and put it in drive, on the shift from 1st to 2nd the headlights flicker and I hear a weird electronic buzzing sound. It never does it again until I shut off and restart again. Never does it in any of the other gears.

The 2nd thing I have noticed is if the trans is not 100% warmed up and under heavy acceleration I hear a shuttering/chirping sound coming from the transmission area accompanied by the above electronic buzzing sound. Sounds like a small, high pitched turbine winding down or like one of those party noisemakers that you blow. Once the trans is 100% warmed up this sound stops.

3rd I've noticed when I come to full stops it takes a while for the trans to get back into 1st gear and sometimes it slams into the lower gears.

Fluid is at the right level, not sure of the last time it has been changed.

Truck has 140k miles.

Does this sound like the beginning of the end for this trans? Everything seems to work pretty well at operating temp...but I just bought this truck and I have my fingers crossed that I won't have to dump a couple grand into a trans soon.
Original Poster
Grease&gravel
Topics: 1
Year: 2012
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain