jQuery not supported.

Changed Differential Lube

Changed Differential Lube

Postby TheMightyWhitey [OP] » Dec 26 2019, 10:32pm

Today. It's in the low 60's outside, and she's got 75,3xx miles..................git 'er done.

I used about 4 1/3qts. of 75w90 synthetic gear lube for both. Not Amsoil. :o ;) :lol:

Some useful tips I'll suggest for anyone doing the rear diff..........
1. Drop your spare tire.
2. Take a stiff nylon/plastic brush and clean the area around the gasket seal, brake line clamps/hoses and blow off with compressed air. Brush more than you think you'll need to do..........especially if you drive on wet, sloppy gravel roads. I should have brushed and blew a bit more.
3. Leave 1 of the top cover bolts in as you loosen and take out the others.
4. Be careful cleaning off the gasket, you don't want to bend it around much.
5. Clean the magnet on the plug and wipe out the inside of the cover.
6. Reinstall and fill until barely trickling out the fill hole.

My rear diff was surprisingly clean on the inside. Hardly any particles at all on the plug magnet, and not much "scum" on the inside of the cover.

Front diff suggestions...................
1. Be prepared, the shield may be heavy as you're loosening the bolts with dirt/gravel/mud...............mine was.
2. Brush around the fill plug and drain like for the rear, and blow off with compressed air.
3. Loosen the fill plug before draining so you don't drain and not be able the get the plug out..........mine was stupid tight!!!
4. Fill until barely trickling out the fill hole.

My front diff plug had about 1/2" of metal bits on it when I removed it. I use 4x4 a good amount in the Winter. The front diff fluid was olive green in color also.

Hope this helps someone.
MAGA
Original Poster
TheMightyWhitey
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 5 pistons [L2]
Topics: 58
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2016
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: Hybrid
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Changed Differential Lube

Postby Bradley21sanders » Jan 14 2020, 2:41pm

did you rotate the ring gear and make sure you didn't have abnormal wear? say what, olive green diff fluid?
131,500 as of 7/21/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 54
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby CT2500HD » Jan 14 2020, 5:31pm

Bradley21sanders wrote:did you rotate the ring gear and make sure you didn't have abnormal wear? say what, olive green diff fluid?

You'd see metal flake and have some noise if there was a ring & pinion issue. Contact pattern issues are measured in .000/inch, so you probably would not see it by eye. If you are curious while you have it open, get a little container of "marking compound" used for ring & pinion job, that when brushed onto the teeth, shows you the contact pattern on the ring gear. More likely problems than a ring & pinion issue to look for are 1) the pinion nut backing-off and 2) the hub bearing going dead, which can allow the axle shaft to become slightly off-square from the spline-end at the c-clip, which can start to eat spider gears (this applies to the 10-bolt rear axle only, not the 3/4 and 1-ton full-floating axles).

Also, fill you differentials on level surfaces. Overfilling can start to allow oil up into the pinion and start to work past the pinion seal.

A slight greenish/grayish color means water is emulsified in the diff oil. That's normal. Under most driving conditions, the temp should get hot enough to steam-off most of the water, but as soon as it cools down when you park, moisture will condense again inside the diff (from ambient air). Making sure you diff breather hose is not kinked helps in this regard. Rear axles get more torque applies and hence more heat, usually boiling-off water with every ride. The front does not have torque applied if in 2wd, moves but just drags-along.
CT2500HD
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Auto 4WD Mode [L3]
Topics: 20
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: 2500HD RCLB 6.0L
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Jan 14 2020, 6:06pm

Yeah you cant actually see the wear but he said he had about 1/2" of metal bits in the front one.. so may could have spotted something.
131,500 as of 7/21/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Topics: 54
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain