jQuery not supported.

Couple of 4WD TC/ST questions

Couple of 4WD TC/ST questions

Postby esox07 [OP] » Feb 22 2014, 2:02am

If I haven't used the 4WD system for a while, I like to turn it on every so often to keep it loose. It seems that is pretty common practice. This winter has given me quite a bit of opportunity to use it without trying to find a reason. But I have yet to use 4LO. The truck has a bit over 13,000 miles and is about 8 months old. Is it a good idea to use the 4LO once is a while or will putting it in 4HI take care of keeping the whole 4WD system loose?

My next question is in regard to TC and ST while in 4HI. I know it turns off automatically in 4LO, but if I am pulling something in 4HI, is it a good idea to turn off ST and TC? For instance, let's say I am pulling a stump?
2013 Silverado 1500 LT, Z71, 5.3L, 6L80e, 4X4, HD Towing pkg
If you can't fix it with a hammer, it is an electrical problem
Original Poster
esox07
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 281
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: All Star Edition
Extra Info: 1500 LT XCab 5.3 4x4
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users
Servicemen

Re: Couple of 4WD TC/ST questions

Postby Silvery13 » Feb 22 2014, 3:00pm

IMO if you are pulling something, say a stump or a stuck vehicle, you should use 4LO. But if you did use 4HI, turning off the TC is a good idea.
Not a member of the "club", not a self appointed "this or that", not a legend in my own mind.
Conceptual Polymer High Efficiency Catch Can, DynaPro ATM RF-10 255-70/18, Dynomax Ultra Flo Welded, Bilstein 5100s
Silvery13
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Topics: 17
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2014
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: Z71 4X4 EcoTec 5.3
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users
Servicemen

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain