jQuery not supported.

differential bearing going out

differential bearing going out

Postby robertbassin5 [OP] » Jul 29 2020, 4:45pm

I have 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3L 3.42 gear ratio differential. My pinion bearing is going out. I know how to fix it. Just not physically able to fix it. Can't find any locally to fix it. Just wondering if I should buy a used one or a refurbished one? Any ideas?
Original Poster
robertbassin5
Firing on 8 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 1999
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 4.3 l v6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: differential bearing going out

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 29 2020, 4:57pm

Are you looking to have the entire rear axle replaced? or just rebuild the rear that is in the truck?
If you cannot physically rebuild the rear yourself but have the tools and knowledge how would you change the entire rear axle yourself?
Rebuilding it would be better and easier on you than trying to replace the entire rear axle especially if your considering a used axle from a salvage yard.
I guess we would need more information on what your thinking to be of any help.
If I were in your shoes I would look for a trade school where you supply the parts and the students do the work under the supervision of their teacher. it takes longer and you might find new roaches or spent blunts in your ashtray but it would eventually get done.
If you are in a hurry to get the job done and do not mind used parts some salvage yards have mechanics on site and will replace the rear axle with a used one. one stop shopping but you really do not know what your getting going that route. if that is even available near you.
So hit us up and let us know what you were originally thinking and someone will come up with an idea for you hopefully.
EaOutlaw1969
Combustion on 7 pistons [L2]
Topics: 11
Year: 2015
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby robertbassin5 [OP] » Jul 29 2020, 5:10pm

I am a single person and don't have the help. Nor the tools to replace the pinion bearings. Did a rebuild 30yrs ago. On a different truck. Need it fixed so I can use my truck.
Original Poster
robertbassin5
Topics: 6
Year: 1999
Extra Info: 1500 4.3 l v6
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Bradley21sanders » Jul 29 2020, 6:22pm

I would find a pull a part yard or something along those lines and get a used and swap it out. Could be done pretty easily. Just get the same ratio.

My local place pulls them as time permits and goes through all of them and checks to make sure they are good to sell as is. cost about 700 for my 2009 though. So I rebuilt it myself.

Any shade tree mechanic or shop should be able to do the swap quickly and shouldnt cost too much.
131,500 as of 7/21/20
Diablew 89 tune~Halo Lifts Coilovers (2 1/2")+1 1/2" Zone Body lift~RC Forged UCAs~Carven TR~4.56/Eaton Truetrac~285/75r17 Falken Wildpeaks~Deaver mini pack
Bradley21sanders
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 54
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2009
Variant: LT
Extra Info: CCSB 1500 5.3L 2WD
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users

Postby EaOutlaw1969 » Jul 29 2020, 6:50pm

In your case I would buy a used one and make them open the inspection cover for you. then you can inspect it for damage wear and play.
if you can manage to get it to your house swapping it out is no big deal if you have the right tools and can be a one man job not a easy job but one man.
some times you can find trucks being parted out and talk the owner to help you swap it out on their site just bring break fluid and new consumable parts like u-bolts etc so you can do the job right. I know if i was willing to pull a rear from a parts truck I would be willing to get paid to help install it as well if the offer was right.
EaOutlaw1969
Topics: 11
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: LS
Extra Info: 5.3 Flex
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby roorancher » Jul 29 2020, 7:46pm

robertbassin5 wrote:I have 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3L 3.42 gear ratio differential. My pinion bearing is going out. I know how to fix it. Just not physically able to fix it. Can't find any locally to fix it. Just wondering if I should buy a used one or a refurbished one? Any ideas?

I find it hard to believe you cannot find anyone "locally" to fix it in Texas. Even where I work, (in Waco, a city of 125,000 people,) there are two driveline shops!

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

102,900 miles 8/1/20

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker-Winjet/DD HIDs

Diablew Tune
roorancher
Topics: 92
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain