jQuery not supported.

Failing clutch pack on locking differential?

Failing clutch pack on locking differential?

Postby Radioflyer [OP] » Jul 28 2020, 2:00pm

Application: 09 silverado LTZ 1500 with GM locking differential.
E-force supercharger making 500rwhp/450 rwtq

Over the past week, I noticed the following symptoms:
- on moderate to heavy acceleration, the truck seems to drop the right side and want to move left, When I let go of the throttle the right side returns and the truck wants to move right.
- Notable (but not substantial) loss of power
- Boost/vac gauge indicates at cruise I'm not pulling as much vacuum and on highway at cruise, it goes into boost just to maintain highway speed.

I briefly talked with a trusted mechanic who thinks based on these symptoms, the clutch pack in the differential (likely the left one) may have gone out.

I'm curious if my application calls for (and if anyone makes) an aftermarket clutch pack that is more durable.

Thoughts?
Original Poster
Radioflyer
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 101
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Failing clutch pack on locking differential?

Postby Walkers » Jul 28 2020, 2:33pm

I am not super familiar with 1500 trucks. If you have a G80 gov lok, then no. I replaced my gov lok with a Yukon Posi. It is a GM style Posi Trak LSD. It seems to hook up very well, and very good manners around corners on the street. You will want to replace it before it grenades and eats your gears though.
Walkers
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 54
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Jul 28 2020, 3:16pm

The G80 is a little different in operation compared to some others out there.

In theory it shouldn't lock over 20mph. That's not always the case since sometimes they will remain locked until you unload them if it locked up while taking off for example.

The G80 like to chew the teeth of the little gear that is in there for engagement. Clutch failures are also fairly common if they are abused. Its really not the strongest diff to take abuse. Especially at higher than stock power levels in a 10 bolt axle.

The issue is that it shock loads itself every time it locks. And it will only take so much before it fails.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 133
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Radioflyer [OP] » Jul 28 2020, 4:03pm

Checked the codes. I do have a G80. Did the wheel spin test and couldn't get the locker to engage.

Given my application (and trying to avoid shock-load when playing) , I'm considering swapping to a TruTrac. Since there are no clutches in the Trutrac, is it as simple as a swapping out carriers?
Original Poster
Radioflyer
Topics: 101
Years of membership: 5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
Year: 2009
Extra Info: LTZ
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby 19trax95 » Jul 28 2020, 4:12pm

Swapping out the carrier and then checking/resetting your gear pattern. Sometimes you get lucky and it doesn't change. But usually it needs adjustment
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Topics: 133
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain