jQuery not supported.

Front Differential leaking on the right side

2004 Silverado half ton

Front Differential leaking on the right side

Postby lzn197 [OP] » Nov 19 2010, 8:50pm

2004 half ton Silverado with a leak where the right side output shaft exits the aluminum case. The vent is clean. Anybody out there who can tell me step by step the procedure to fix it? So far I've added one pint of fluid in 71,000 miles. It has the all aluminum case and I've never had one of these apart before.

Any help would be appreciated.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
Original Poster
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Re: Front Differential leaking on the right side

Postby rkj4243 » Nov 19 2010, 10:25pm

By right side, I am assuming you mean passenger side of vehicle? When you mention all aluminum housing would I assume that it would be both the carrier, cover, and tube of the front axle. You need to remove the right hand half shaft bolts from the axle output shaft flange, to allow you to remove the tube assembly from the front axle assembly. You may have to remove the half shaft from the vehicle, to allow clearance. The tube fastens to the axle with 5 bolts, 15 mm heads. Remove them, and the whole assembly should slide out from the axle. The right hand output shaft retained in the housing by a snap ring, so it will come out with the tube. Also, your 4 wheel Drive shifter fork, collar gear, and spring will come out with thhe tube. Note their positions for reassembly. Once the tube is removed, there will be an "I/O shaft" or input output shaft which remains in the axle, and is splined to the differential case side gear. Leave this intact. With the tube assembly removed, remove the snap ring from the output shaft, and using a rubber faced mallet, tap out the shaft towards the seal end. Once the shaft is removed, you can replace the seal, reassemble the components of the tube assembly, and reinstall it onto the front axle. Total time should be about 1 to 2 hours, depending upon work environment and conditions. PM me if you have issues, as I can provide "exploded view" of axle to you if the need arises. I work at AAM whichh makes these axles for GM. Hope this helps.
rkj4243
Automotive Technician
Automotive Technician
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 4 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2010
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: 1500 SL 4X4
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain