jQuery not supported.

G80 Locking vs Auto locking question

2014 GMC Sierra Z71 what's the Diff?

G80 Locking vs Auto locking question

Postby carl6405 [OP] » Jul 28 2020, 3:27pm

Hey guys,

This is probably a newby question but thought I would post it anyway. I bought my new to me 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT, Z71 just last month and I am trying to determine a couple things about my differential. I was reading that the Sierra "All "Terrain" packages comes with an automatic locking differential though i "think" my truck has the G80 differential in it as well however when i try to find info on it I find it is a "Locking Differential" but auto locking is not stated.

1. How do i find out for sure what rear diff i have?
2. Whats the difference between the Auto locking diff(Automatic locking rear differential (G80)) that is included in the Sierra All Terrain package vs the standard Locking differential?
3. Does my truck have a locking differential?

Thank you for your reply.
Original Poster
carl6405
Topics: 4
Year: 2014
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: SLT
Extra Info: Ecotec 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: G80 Locking vs Auto locking question

Postby 19trax95 » Jul 28 2020, 3:32pm

GM only offers two choices for differentials. And that is locking (G80) and open.

If you have RPO code G80, then you have the locking diff. If you don't have that RPO code then you have an open diff, unless someone added something different.
19trax95
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 133
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Variant: High Country
Extra Info: 2500 Duramax
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
How-to Authors
TOTM Winner
Member Extraordinaire
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby ThePip412 » Jul 28 2020, 3:58pm

If you have the G80 you have an automatic locker will act as an open around corners but when wheel slip is present will lock both together.

I believe the other type you are thinking about are "select-able" where the diff is open until you physically lock it with air pressure or electrically. but for either of those you would have a switch in the cab to lock and unlock the diff.
ThePip412
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Firing on 5 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 9
Year: 2008
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby adam86107 » Jul 28 2020, 4:03pm

The G80 is a centrifugal locker. If wheel speed difference exceeds 100 RPM the locker engages.
adam86107
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 76
Years of membership: 7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Year: 2005
Extra Info: RST 5spd manual 4.8L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jul 28 2020, 5:59pm

¨ Optional Equipment (G80 Order Code) on all GM two-wheel and four-wheel drive light trucks and sport utilities.

Benefits

¨ Improved traction differentiates the vehicle relative to other rear wheel and four-wheel drive vehicles on the market.

¨ Maintenance free; requires no lube additives.

¨ Enhanced towing and off-road performance.

¨ Patented carbon friction disc technology enhances performance and durability while reducing warranty claims.

Principles of Operation

¨ Wheel speed difference (left to right) in excess of 100 RPM will cause a flyweight mechanism to open and catch a latching bracket.

¨ The stopped flyweight will trigger a self-energizing clutch system, which results in the cam plate ramping against a side gear.

¨ Ramping increases until both axles turn at the same speed (full lock), which prevents further wheel slip.

¨ At speeds above 20MPH, the latching bracket swings away from the governor and prevents lockup from occurring.

Technical Specifications

¨ Automatic locking takes place within a fraction of a second, so smoothly that it is unnoticed by the average driver.

¨ Unlocking occurs automatically, once the need for improved traction is gone, and is unnoticeable to the average driver.

¨ Compatible with anti-lock brake systems.

The “G-80” meaning by GM does not, repeat DOES NOT, directly apply to only one differential. That “G-80” moniker is the GM RPO (regular production option) order code for a traction control device in a differential. It has been applied to many different types of traction control systems in both cars and trucks over many, many years (50+). The truck (and SUV) G-80 is a “locker” made by Eaton in 1500/2500/3500 vehicles. The half-ton 1500 units get a lighter duty version for the smaller size differential housing.
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

My_Fleet
2017 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L Ultimate
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 238
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Vendors
Registered users

Postby carl6405 [OP] » Jul 28 2020, 6:59pm

Mike, thank you for clearing things up for me and hopefully some others that might want to know.
Original Poster
carl6405
Topics: 4
Year: 2014
Variant: SLT
Extra Info: Ecotec 5.3
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby Z15 » Jul 28 2020, 8:29pm

:) :)
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

My_Fleet
2017 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L Ultimate
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 238
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Servicemen
Vendors
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain