jQuery not supported.

Help, I dropped a bushing into my manual transaxle!

Help, I dropped a bushing into my manual transaxle!

Postby guiltytoo [OP] » Aug 23 2012, 4:03am

I'm embarrassed to make my 2nd post ever on the board to say that I've made a terrible, time consuming mistake.

I just installed a clutch kit into my 2000 V6/5speed 1500 Silverdo (w/185,000 mi) and while installing the shifter back into the cab, one of the bushings on the bottom of the shifter gate came loose and found its way into the opening in the top of the manual transmission.

I knew what I did, and I've been trying to break apart the manual transaxle from the bell housing to retrieve the bushing ever since. I've tried searching for a similar topic but found nothing to help thus far.

So, first thing's first -- How do I break apart the t-case from the bell housing? Can it be done while installed in the truck? I really don't want to take the bell housing off of the truck again - but i will if i have to.

I have a haynes manual that was of no real help.

Could anyone give some advice to me? I'm frustrated and tired at this point.
Original Poster
guiltytoo
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 2000
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Help, I dropped a bushing into my manual transaxle!

Postby ASTE25 » Aug 23 2012, 4:13am

I don't think the bellhousing come off the transmission on that model. I do think you can take the plate off the top of the transmission where the shifter goes and retrieve the bushing from there.
Jordan
ASTE25
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Topics: 19
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2015
Make/Model: ...Not an owner
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby guiltytoo [OP] » Aug 23 2012, 4:49am

This trans does not have a removable plate on the top of the trans.... any other ideas?
Original Poster
guiltytoo
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Aug 23 2012, 5:15am

Was it a plastic or ferris metal bushing?
Jordan
ASTE25
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Postby guiltytoo [OP] » Aug 23 2012, 7:17am

Metal bushing off of the bottom of the shifter assembly -- I can see it through the drain hole, but cannot remove it due to clearance issues between gears and the transaxle case. On a rare shot, tomorrow, I'm driving to a local ace hardware to buy a "bendable magnet" to try (while praying) that i can fish the bushing out in the same path that it fell down to the bottom of the case.......

I'm hoping for someone to tell me how i can easily and safely separate the transaxle from the bell housing and simply turn the transaxle over or up on end and let the bushing fall out..... how cool would that be???
Original Poster
guiltytoo
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby ASTE25 » Aug 23 2012, 8:14pm

Good luck. I was going to suggest the magnet idea. If you can get it to the drain hole you can maybe use a pair of needle nose pliers to get it out (tearing it up to make it fit). Then you can get a new one on install the shifter again.
Jordan
ASTE25
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
SilveradoSierra Guru
Member Extraordinaire
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain