jQuery not supported.

Improve towing - swap rear-end/rear-end gears?

Re: Improve towing - swap rear-end/rear-end gears?

Postby intheburbs » Apr 18 2016, 10:00pm

Will gears help? Yes. Will it be a significant improvement? Probably not.

My '01 Burb had the 5.3 and the 4.10 rear, and it was still a dog in the mountains. We were dragging a ~6500-lb trailer, and went as high as Powder River Pass in Wyoming (9,666 ft). On the final approach, we were in first gear doing 25 miles an hour.

The only way you're going to see an appreciable increase in performance up in the Rockies is if you upgrade to a diesel. Forced-induction engines are less susceptible to the power losses associated with increasing altitude.
2009 Sierra 1500 Denali AWD - 6.2L L9H, 3.42
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 4X4- 6.0 LY6, 3.73, Blackbear
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara - Tank, 3.21, Alpine, leather, 430N (hers)
2013 Jeep JKU Sahara - Deep Cherry Crystal, 3.21 (The Boy's)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara - Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)
intheburbs
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 4
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Year: 2009
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Suburban 2500 3LT
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tundrwd [OP] » Apr 22 2016, 6:35pm

After more searching, and asking some questions locally, I've decided that the cost of trying to swap rear ends is going to be prohibitive, especially for something I can't "try before I buy". Even changing out gears, I can't find anyone locally who claims to do that, and even if I did it, I can't find anyone who will admit that they can reprogram the computer to deal with the new setup.

I did decide to get a Diablosport (opened box, but half price of new), and see what it would do. It was certainly the least expensive of any option.

I've got it, but haven't updated/registered it yet, and am wondering what program should be selected to improve towing capability (or improve it more than it is...) Again for an '09 Silverado Crew Cab. Is there a "improve towing" program, or just a "hard shift", or ???

Anyone who has done this have suggestions?

Also - can you "stack" programs? Or are they "one-at-a-time"?
Original Poster
tundrwd
Topics: 2
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 1500 XFE
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tundrwd [OP] » Apr 22 2016, 6:38pm

Sorry - it's an i1000 InTune.
Original Poster
tundrwd
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby tundrwd [OP] » Apr 22 2016, 8:43pm

And one more thing (so far) - I've got a Mac and a couple Win10 devices. Will the current software, etc. work on Win10?

One of the W10 devices is a cheapie tablet - an HP Stream 7. Anyone used that type of device, and did the i1000 work fine?
Original Poster
tundrwd
Group Membership:
Registered users
Previous

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain