jQuery not supported.

Interesting findings after buying 94 Silvy

Interesting findings after buying 94 Silvy

Postby CoolGuitars [OP] » Jul 25 2011, 2:36am

Hey guys,

I just bought a 94 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4, 5.7L.
One of things I that I liked about this vehicle is that it had 46K miles on it. It was owned by a municipality in Wisconsin and was in pretty good shape. I changed the oil, changed both diff fluids and changed the transmission fluid.
I then found the records in a folder in the glove compartment (should have looked there first, but hey I was excited). I found that there had been two staters replaced, tires, batteries, a seat belt recall and lots of oil changes. Some other minor stuff.

BUT THEN, I found that when the truck had 27K miles on it, and the year was 2003, a transmission was replaced in it. Wow, only after 27K miles. Strange. I guess miles wise it would have been under warranty, but years wise, it wasn't. I say that because the Chevy dealer DID NOT do the work, a transmission shop did it. Okay, then I looked at the part number.
To my dissapointment, the part said: 4L60E V6 (but I have a 5.7L V8 !) Why would they have put in a mismatched tranny for the engine displacement? I am very confused.
Please assist.

Thanks
Original Poster
CoolGuitars
Topics: 1
Years of membership: 8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership8 years of membership
Year: 1994
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: 5.7L 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Interesting findings after buying 94 Silvy

Postby lzn197 » Jul 26 2011, 8:19pm

If they actually did that, and it is possible, they did it for reduced cost to them.
Gordon
2004 Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Z71
Semi-retired Master Mechanic
lzn197
ASE Certified
ASE Certified
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 6
Years of membership: 10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
Year: 2004
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: K1500 5.3L Z71 EX
Group Membership:
Automotive Technicians
Registered users

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain