jQuery not supported.

Not sure how to title this problem!

2014 1500 takes several seconds to drop in drive

Not sure how to title this problem!

Postby Dannypug110256 [OP] » Nov 06 2019, 11:37pm

Let me first say that other than this problem, I’m having absolutely no issues with the transmission at all. It shifts properly, it’s firm and I can pull a 16 foot equipment trailer and there are NO problems at all. Which is what makes me think it’s not transmission related, even though it’s the only thing I can think of LOL!

About 4 out of 10 times if I start the vehicle or I leave it running it doesn’t matter. But if I am in park and I shift to drive, it takes several seconds for drive to engage. During that time it remains in neutral where you could actually rev the engine and go nowhere.

If I remember and I’m thinking about it, when I shift from park to drive I will just keep my foot on the brake for a couple or few seconds and then press the gas and go. Doing that all would be fine and there wouldn’t be a problem.

However because I am stupid, I just can’t seem to remember that as it’s second nature and I will take it from Park and slap it in drive and then give it gas and when I go nowhere and hear the engine rev up, I go oh **** because i forgot, and I know before the engine goes back to idle it will drop in gear while I am pressing the gas to take off and when that happens?

Oh my goodness it makes a VERY loud clunking sound, the truck violently jerks and feels like the transmission is going to drop out of the truck!!! Any ideas?

2014, V6, Silverado single cab 8 foot bed tow haul button
Last edited by Dannypug110256 on Nov 06 2019, 11:47pm, edited 2 times in total.
2015 Duramax Crew 4x4 3500 DEF emissions delete.
200 hp tune. AirDog 2 4G bypass. Winches front & back.
4-300W light bars on roof rack. 3-105W front. 8 switch panel overhead console. 5-12V batteries. 6 Nitto Terra Grappler G2, 2 spares roof. Fender flares. See profile for complete list mods.
Original Poster
Dannypug110256
Firing on 6 cylinders [L1]
Topics: 11
Year: 2015
Make/Model: Chevrolet Silverado
Extra Info: See List Interests
Group Membership:
Registered users

Re: Not sure how to title this problem!

Postby roorancher » Nov 06 2019, 11:40pm

Sounds like a transmission problem to me.
Obvious questions first....Have you checked the fluid level, and how long has it been since you did a fluid flush and/or filter change?

2015 Silverado LT Texas Edition

82,500 as of 11/1/19

Diode Dynamics-Hi-6/Cargo Mods-Boost Auto Mirrors-Elite Catch Can-AMP Power & Bed Steps-Bilstein-Carhartt-Swing Case-Vitesse-Camera-Source-Kicker

Diablew Tune

Security by Rock Island Armory
roorancher
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Shifting into Fifth Gear [L3]
Topics: 59
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Variant: Texas Edition
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby GBSierraSLE » Nov 07 2019, 1:28am

I'm with Jeff on this one. Check the fluid level/condition.
'13 SLE 4x4 5.3/6L80/3.42 G80 Z60 Bought new
2" level, Michelin 275/60/20 Defender LTX
DiabLew, Webasto Moonroof, Borla Touring 32 Dump
Bedrug, Helwig, Carshow, OEM Denali grille, Extang, Raptor
Boss Sport Duty, SL1 LED's, Lots of other small mods
18,700 mi
GBSierraSLE
Staff Member
Staff Member
Shifting into Sixth Gear! [L3]
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2013
Make/Model: GMC Sierra
Extra Info: SLE 1500 ECRB 4x4
Group Membership:
Supporters
Global moderators
Registered users

Postby Dannypug110256 [OP] » Nov 07 2019, 7:47am

roorancher wrote:Sounds like a transmission problem to me.
Obvious questions first....Have you checked the fluid level, and how long has it been since you did a fluid flush and/or filter change?

Funny you say that because I did not and I slapped myself in the face at the same time, but did about a week ago. but again because I’m not experiencing any slipping or issues with the transmission is probably why I didn’t. But I finally did and it was actually past full and overfilled maybe a 1/2 - 1 quart, hard to say.

No I have never done a flush or filter change. I could be wrong but I can’t help but feel I would be experiencing other issues with the transmission sides that???
2015 Duramax Crew 4x4 3500 DEF emissions delete.
200 hp tune. AirDog 2 4G bypass. Winches front & back.
4-300W light bars on roof rack. 3-105W front. 8 switch panel overhead console. 5-12V batteries. 6 Nitto Terra Grappler G2, 2 spares roof. Fender flares. See profile for complete list mods.
Original Poster
Dannypug110256
Extra Info: See List Interests
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby SierraHarley » Nov 07 2019, 12:37pm

Are you sure it is overfilled? You did get your truck up to operating temps and shift through all the gears before checking on a level surface right?
Is the fluid kind of foamy?

If it really is overfilled then you may want to read this and get the extra fluid out right away
https://www.carbibles.com/too-much-transmission-fluid/

BFG KO2 265/70/17 * Motofab level * Diablew * iboards * Extang trifold signature * 35% autobahn black * W/T mud flaps * Line-X * DD SL1 headlights
Retarded driver
SierraHarley
Armed Forces
Armed Forces
Topics: 25
Years of membership: 6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership6 years of membership
Extra Info: SLE 4x4 5.3L
Group Membership:
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Z15 » Nov 07 2019, 1:20pm

I would agree, trans problems. Typically too much fluid will not cause that, just the opposite, not enough. We had a 1/2 doz 2wd & 4wd light trucks on our GPS survey crew (DOT) and I recall several that needed new transmission acted like that before they died. Since they were fleet vehicles, we only fixed what broke.

I would suggest you have a competent transmission expert evaluate the problem instead of guessing.
Mike

SYNTHOIL SUPPLY

My_Fleet
2017 GMC Sierra Denali 6.2L
2017 John Deere X738 4x4 Tractor/Snow Blower
2018 Polaris RZR S 900 EPS
2016 Polaris RZR 900 EPS
Z15
Recognized Supplier
Recognized Supplier
Topics: 236
Years of membership: 9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Year: 2017
Variant: Denali
Extra Info: Ultimate 4WD 6.2L
Group Membership:
Vendors
Registered users
Servicemen

Postby Walkers » Nov 07 2019, 3:00pm

It could be a solenoid, or something else. You are checking the fluid hot while running right? I agree though, it is likely, depending on mileage, that having not serviced it your tranny is pooched.
Walkers
4x4 High Mode [L3]
4x4 High Mode [L3]
Topics: 48
Years of membership: 2 years of membership2 years of membership
Year: 2013
Extra Info: Ext cab 2500 4x4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby RivGuy » Nov 07 2019, 10:50pm

What is the mileage on the Transmission.???

Your local auto mechanic SHOULD have the diag tool to hook to the OBD II port and give you an answer and suggest what you can do to fix it.

It sounds like a relatively inexpensive repair. NOT that anything is inexpensive, but it may not require a complete Trans overhaul.

You may get lucky and find it is a lazy solenoid due to dirty/varnished valve in the valve body. It could be sticking and causing the problem.

Heck, If it requires a valve body replacement it is still cheaper than an overhaul.
Based on the amount of mileage on the trans, if it's very high and your afraid to go into the valve body you can always try TransX from your auto parts store. It will loosen and dissolve some of the potential varnish in the valve body and get things moving again..
But you need to drain some fluid from your trans if your already overfilled. You will need it to be a quart low to add the TransX.
If you have high mileage, DO NOT have the trans Professionally flushed. Your doomed if you do.
Just drop the pan and replace the filter, gasket and clean the pan and look for a magnet in the pan to see how much material may be attached to it.
If no magnet then just clean and re-install pan (with new filter and gasket) then add 4 quarts of Trans Fluid and one Qt. of TransX.
Then move shift lever slowly from park through the gears while parked and let the engine and trans get up to temp and move the shift lever through the gears again. Stop and wait a bit while engine is still running then check level of Trans Fluid.
Top it off as necessary and take it for a drive and see what happens after a long drive with the TransX in it at normal temps.
If it still has the problem then you need to see a trans guy to help you with the diagnosis.
But the above is the inexpensive way to start to troubleshoot or fix the problem.
I've TranX fix several Trans problems with many different vehicles. Not saying it's a magic bullet but it is an inexpensive way to start your troubleshooting at least.
RivGuy
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 2 pistons [L2]
Topics: 8
Year: 2005
Extra Info: 5.3L HO Z71 4X4
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby TheMightyWhitey » Nov 07 2019, 11:01pm

I believe that there was a post here about the "relearn procedure" for the transmission in these trucks. Not the "quick" relearn the stealerships do............but the in depth one that involves driving etc.

Part of that whole relearn process involved solenoids which are sometimes active and sometimes not...........depending on which gear you are in. Makes sense that if a solenoid is behaving badly, that this issue may arise.
MAGA
TheMightyWhitey
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Combustion on 3 pistons [L2]
Topics: 41
Years of membership: 1 year of membership
Year: 2016
Variant: Hybrid
Group Membership:
Registered users

Postby dav2no1 » Nov 07 2019, 11:27pm

Sure sounds like a solenoid issue.
2012 SILVERADO LTZ 5.3L -4x4 -6 Speed -Bilstein- K&N -Borla- Line.X -GM Steps -LEDs-Diablew Tuned
1964 C-10 383 Stroker -12 Bolt Posi -Custom Holley 650 -Hurst Shifter -Stan's Headers -2 1/2" duals w/H pipe-40 series Flowmasters
dav2no1
Topics: 30
Years of membership: 4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership4 years of membership
Year: 2012
Extra Info: 5.3L LTZ 4X4 6 speed
Group Membership:
How-to Authors
Registered users
Next

Return to Transmission/Drivetrain